Find
Notify
Tools

Back at you Jim Kobe!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
One of my good friends brought one of his recent gun show prizes (VZ/24 in 22-250) in to be rebarreled. I pulled the barrel & low & behold look what I found. Who ever did this must be first cousin to the guy that did the one you are working on. Big Grin

The smith threaded a bushing ID to fit the small ring barrel then threaded the OD to fit a large ring Mauser.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, a chamber insert... Haven't seen one of them in a long time. This one of yours required a bit more talent than the one Jim described. Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug

Thanks for the picture.

I have seen receivers bushed, but usually after correcting a botched factory thread. I have never seen a bushing to use a small ring barrel in a large ring receiver.

In the 70's/ when cutts compensators "went out of style" and model 12 Winchesters started to increase in value an guy in town cut the barrels behind the cutts, threaded them and screwed on the end of a barrel with a fixed choke. I watched him do this with a 13 inch South Bend and a spider in the steady using single point HSS in a lantern tool post. He even soldered on those oval posts and put a new rib on. With polish and reblue, it was very very difficult to see the joint. It was not all that complicated, but it did require good technique to thread both sections and get a good butt joint.

Some may not like the idea of this bushing, but I think this shows some reasonable machining skills.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I have to admit that I have toyed with this myself just havn't done it yet.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Some older Gun Parts Corp catalogs had some small shanked barrels they they advertised would be perfect for "sleeving" like this.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how big a problem is it, safety wise, hell everything-wise. I mean is it the kiss of death like the "two washers" thing, or is it OK?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chamber Insert? Looks like a bushing job to me.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got the impression somewhere that some of the A&B barrels were sold like this. Could be wrong. Is it an A&B by any chance?

one of us
posted Hide Post
About 6 or 7 years ago, a customer brought me a Mauser action and one of the early A&B barrels to install on it. It was set up with a bushing just like the one you've pictured. I talked to a Midway rep about it at the SHOT show the next year. He confirmed that they did sell some set up that way to clear out old stock threaded for I-don't-know-what. I haven't seen one since.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddieharren:
Chamber Insert? Looks like a bushing job to me.

Of course it is, but, have you ever pulled a barrel and found that someone had installed a threaded insert that was chambered to a different caliber than original? I have, and they look just like that. Whether a threaded chamber insert or a thread adapter, either would be more difficult to accomplish than that work Jim had described.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
looks like it would likely lead to all sorts of problems in the accuracy dept, just get a different friggen barrel

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done a couple of these (on my own barrels but no Mausers) and they work just fine. I call it an outsert. If done right there is no safety concern. I usually use a LH thread so there is no chance of the thing unscrewing during firing although that is probably overkill on my part.

Having said that, I clearly mark the barrel so a future owner will know what it is.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it’s the photo, or my eyes, but that appears to me to be a chamber “insert†not a threaded “outsert.†bewildered

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Doug

Does that happen to be a barrel that has been relined by chance?

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was experimenting with a lot of wildcats After talking to P.O. Ackley about it I did the bushing thing a few times to save money on barrels. I would turn a sleeve and thread both it and the barrel and then use that low temp silver solder that Brownells had in the bottle to attach the bushing on , I guess you`d say, permantly and thread to the larger 98 threads. I ran some pretty stout loads through some of them like the 6.5/06 etc and never had one come apart or swell the chamber. Ackley said he had done it a lot so I figured if it was good for the old MASTER it was good enough for me! I`d NEVER do it on anything but my own stuff of course but it does serve a purpose. It`s a shame to get rid of a barrel if there is life in it.F. DeHaas has a whole thing about doing it on the older guns too.

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The barrel is stainless & it is fluted. No markings. No liner. No chamber insert.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was fitting a barrel on my BR rifle onetime and got interrupted by a phone call. I some how lost track of my cuts and turned the tenon too small. I made a bushing, like the one shown in the pictures, and then fitted the bushing to my action. It shot fine and I used it all season. I have never seen, much less, installed a "threaded chamber insert". I have fitted threaded bushings on Ruger 10-22 barrels and then threaded the receiver to accept the theaded barrel.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Your description sounds exactly like the .220 swift barrel I put on my lowbucks mauser. A&B barrel, with the "outsert" to fit large ring 98. Stainless, fluted 24" long and short chambered. I think Midway had 'em on sale for around 50 bucks. Darn thing shoots pretty good, .5 inch with H380 and 50 grain pills, when I do my part.
Merry Christmas
Jon In Tucson

Shoot Straight and Vote!

Posts: 49 | Location: Tucson , AZ | Registered: 06 September 2002Reply With Quote