New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock for a M98
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picked up a Mark X action last weekend at a pretty good price. Rifle is/was a 300 Win Mag, but I feel in it's next life it will return as a 458 Win Mag. Which stock would be best? I don't want to spend more than maybe $500, so fancy wood is out. I'm thinking maybe a McMillan and have found a couple of laminated stocks on the net that look ok. Weight, of course, is not a major concern. And this is to be built as a working rifle, not a show piece. It'll be done right, just not real fancy, unless the fancy is part of being functional. Roger Ferrell will be doing the build.

Let's hear your suggestions.

Thanks fellows,

David

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I had the exact same rifle and did the exact same thing you intend to do. The stock I chose was a Richards Microfit in the "Old Classic #102"
(http://www.rifle-stocks.com/oldclassic.htm)
style and I had it done in Semi-Fancy (not fancy at all) English Walnut. Although the stock isn't very figured, it looks good and has good grain structure through the wrist. I will cross bolt it between the mag well and behind the recoil lug and run some all-thread into the pistol grip area.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a client's stock in the shop right now that was done by the Northwoods Gunstock co. it is a piece of Claro I believe and is semi-inletted for the 98/interarms Mauser. It is priced at $375 but I am sure he would sell for less. emai me if interested.

Jkob60@msn.com

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote