Find
Notify
Tools

Another Stock Finish Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted
I will re-finishing a rifle stock in near future and have on hand a Minwax Wipe On Poly. It seemed to have rub in oil like qualities on another piece of wood I applied it to. Is this suitable for rifle stock finish? Also plan to apply a Pilkington red stain to this stock. Your suggestions and help appreciated.

I've used linseed and Tru-oil finishes with mixed results after aging.

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
TTT

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've never tried it on a gun stock but it works great on a table, seems to be pretty much water proof.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You would do well to consider a Tung oil product such as Pro-custom oil from brownells. It's tung oil & urethane (which speed the drying process).

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
For the price and ease of application, you'll find Tru-Oil a better product for your firearm and for probably around the same price. Wal-Mart carries it; look three or four aisles further down in sporting goods and leave that Min Wax for the inside furniture...

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both Tru-Oil and Pro Custom Oil will give classic finishes. Tru-Oil darkens like classic oil finishes. Pro Custom Oil retains the lighter natural color of the wood.

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Browningguy, After taking a closer look at the can it had listed for interior use. Guess I'll find some other use for for half a can.

The Pro Custom Oil might be closer to what I'm looking for with the tung oil and urethane mixture. I've not seen it at the local stores, so a visit to Brownells site is in order.