Find
Notify
Tools

Camo-ing a Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted
I'm considering refinishing a rifle into a camo pattern.

The rifle will probably be a blued handi-rifle from New England Firearms.

How would you guys approach it?

I was reading on the varmint thread about fine-tuning the trigger, and I may try that as well, but one step at a time.

If I go with a blued handi-rifle, what's the best and most durable way to refinish it into a full camo pattern?

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Duracoat is probably the best. But the most reasonable is the Krylon Flat Camo spray paint, usually in stock at Walmart.

I did a plastic stocked Sub2000 first, just painted the plastic. I used the Krylon plastic primer (after degreasing), the the Krylon flat camo paint, then a coat of flat clear.

The second job came out much better but I don't have any pics. It was a blued wood stocked .22. I scuffed the wood and degreased everything, used regular primer on the wood and metal, then the Krylon flat camo and flat clear. This was a gift for a friends 10 year old and he has been banging it around pretty good for the past few months. It's holding up pretty well.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have painted many a rifle with Krylon camo paint.
Paint the entire rifle in one color first, I usually start with the lightest color.

I have used Bow Flage by H S Scents, but it is not as durable as Krylon.

You can even strip off the Krylon if you want to change patterns.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try doing a search at AR15.com

There are some folks who have made it an art form over there. Desert, Marpat, Digital doo-da, you name it, someone has tried it on their AR.

Some to better effect than others. Big Grin

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
easiest, simpleist and cheapest method i've found is wrapping using vet wrap tape. it doesn't adhere to the firearms surface, you can unwrap it and use the same tape over again. the tape only adheres to itself.

i use it on all my varmint rigs, and i'm a happy camper.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote