New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a custom
 Login/Join

<Swift Shot>
posted
Well I ordered 3 mauser 98 actions and planned on building a 25-06 off of one. I bowhunt everything but wanted a nice rifle I own 22, 22 hornet, 45-70. Well the day I ordered them I got a great deal on a Ruger 77 SS with a nikon 3X9, Smith and Wesson 99 and a CZ 40. All for 550 total wifes friend sold all of her husbands guns. (one of those guys gets into something then drops it) Well the Ruger is a 30-06 so what do I build. I was think maybe a 243, just trying to round things out. The reason I thought of the 243 is with the new lighter bullets its fast as hell and I can shoot the heavier for deer. Plus my boy will be hunting soon and he can learn on it. I am open to suggestions I will probable restore one and convert the other 2. The second was thinking maybe a 338-06 AI because it would be easier than just a 338. Well I am open to all comments and thanks in advance.

<9.3x62>
posted
I've owned a 338-06 and I wouldn't bother with the AI. The 338-06 itself doesn't taper too much, plus the bullet diameter is a large enough proportion of the shoulder diameter that you will be making very marginal gains. Now a 257 Roberts AI or 250-3000 AI is a different story. IMO, forming cases is fun for a while, but it gets old.

If you got a long action, use it. Don't barrel a 30-06 to a 243 - then you've got an excessively clunky 243 that may require mag work. Take a look at the 6.5x55 - great classic round that is becoming quite popular stateside. Its killing power ways exceeds it ballisitics even with the very tame (and quite pleasant) factory ammo. My father hunts with a 6.5x55 (I like the 6.5x57 myself) - a few years back he put a factory 140 (rem) end to end through a stocky whitetail - and this bullet starts off at less than 2550 fps. Great round for a youngster too - good accuracy, minimal recoil and muzzle blast, and plenty of oompa-loopma for anything up to and perhaps including elk. I've heard that the 6.5x55 with 160 RN will out penetrate a 375 with 300 grain bullets. The 7x57 would be another great choice for a spare long action.

Other great short action rounds: 250-3000, 260, and 7mm-08.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were me with three M98's sitting I would not barrel any of them in a short action. You are looking at barreling cost plus you will have to have the feed railes modified to properly feed the .308 based round. I would look at a .257 Roberts for one of the actions. This is a great little round that is more than adequate for deer and very mild on the shoulder. Also you will not have the added expence of modifying the action to feed the round. 7X57 Mauser is another great round. You could always have one made up in .257 Roberts for your son and another in 25-06 for you or barrel two up the same. Any 06 based round is a good alternative for a secon chambering.

Bottom line ... I would not go with a short action length round. You get more for your money staying with a long action round.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for either 6.5x55 or 7x57.
With either of these, (especially the 6.5) and a little work on the box, you'll have extra room to seat those long, high BC bullets.
One of these and a 338-06 would be great for starters.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I agree that a short action round is a waste in a 98 action. I would consider a 25-06 or 6.5X55 on the small end, and a 35 whelen or 9.3X62 on the larger end.

I know there are lots of folks who expound the ackley improved, but I think if you pressure tested there guns, you'd find the ackley case is good for only an extra 50 fps if that, and at the cost of custom dies, fire forming brass, and a round that doesn't feed as smoothly from a 98 action.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might look into the 9.3X62, great cartridge!!! Or maby the .358 Norma.

Posts: 130 | Location: St. Albans Maine | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote