New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako L579 Firing pin compatibility
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an older Sako L579 sn 320XXX. It has the enclosed bolt shroud, i.e. AII style, not the exposed version as on a pre-Garcia. To avoid getting into the details now, I HAVE to replace the firing pin/bolt shroud assy. I just received a new assy from Jim Lutes. It is in new Sako packaging with a Beretta label also attached. It is clearly marked L579.

The cocking piece is identical and shrouds are very similar. The onlt critical(?) difference I see is that the spring retaining collar on the firing pin on the new one is shorter(farther from the tip of the firing pin) that the old one. This makes for a shorter spring. The firing pin length is the same. Here's my big question...Does the collar position along the firing pin matter? Does the collar mate with any surface inside the bolt? I don't think that it does, but want to make sure before I assemble this firing pin assy in the bolt.

Any help appreciated.

Posts: 77 | Location: TN | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When they made the change to the newest stlye. They are now using the short spring regardless of which action. The dry fire stop is the cocking piece not the firing pin. So yes the part you have will fit.
Jim Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much. I will give it a try. The shroud is a little different shape than the bolt, so it will not look exactly "right". Do you have any idea where I could find a like firing pin assy?

Thanks again for your help. This is what is great about this site, knowledgeable people helping each other out!

Posts: 77 | Location: TN | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
If Jim does not have one, try www.accuflite.com. IMHO I think the A series shroud look better.

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote