New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case hardening claw mounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am cutting a set of German claws into the bottom of a pair of Leupold extra high rings to fit the bases on my combination gun. Should I harden / temper them once they are fitted?the Leupold steel seems pretty tough, they are of dovetail type and these were not hardened.

Yes it is a moveable component, but it's not going on and off all the time, so can I leave them as is, once cut and fitted?

Posts: 984 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
I am cutting a set of German claws into the bottom of a pair of Leupold extra high rings to fit the bases on my combination gun. Should I harden / temper them once they are fitted?the Leupold steel seems pretty tough, they are of dovetail type and these were not hardened.

Yes it is a moveable component, but it's not going on and off all the time, so can I leave them as is, once cut and fitted?

Because of the claw design the recoil forces will tend to drive the scope forward and the claws deeper into battery. If too soft there maybe some compression of the claw metal, a bit like lug set back that can be experienced with some bolt actions that have not been hardened correctly.

I have seen may examples of claw mounts when in Germany and some showed signs of wear, possibly through taking the scopes on and off, but also some seemed to show signs of softness.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All I have ever had and worked on were soft.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents. I will just leave them as is. Will post results, but don't expect anytime soon - it's taken a good six months to rough out the front claw - only actually taken a couple of hours, but just life getting in the way.

Posts: 984 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote