New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Ruger No1's accurate?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My understanding is that the forearm is attached in a manner that messes up their accuracy.

Any truth to that? If so is there a fix for it.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like no1 can be sensitive for different forearm pressure, some makes a alu beddingblock to prevent it.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's accurate.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
They can be accurate, but also very finicky. As an example, I had a .338 No. 1S that when I bought it would group 6" at 100 yards with Barnes 225-grain X-Bullets, and about 3" with 210-grain Noslers. Sanded the forearm so that there was about .002 gap between it and the receiver, and the groups were cut in half. Then I tried the Hornady 225-grain Interbonds, and they shot about 3/4". I also had a No. 1A in .30-06 that would shoot every load I ever tried under 1" with some around half that, a member here now has the rifle. My current No. 1 is a No. 1B in .280 Remington. With the forend bedded at the tip to put a little pressure on the barrel it shoots 140-grain Nosler Ballistic Silvertips into about 5/8". Over the years I have had 10 No. 1s of various configurations in calibers ranging from .243 to .375 H&H and all of them could be made to shoot under 1-1/2" with some load, and with the average being about 1-1/4."

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3835 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
What's accurate.

Less than 1 moa. You can hunt with way less accurate but that's no fun Cool.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
The only one I have heated up FAST and then moved all over the paper...some bed the fore end hanger or use a rubber washer or something else to reduce contact and pressure...

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
They suck

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently built a 6.5CM for a customer, with factory ammo the two best groups I managed were .440" and .467". I am by no means a good shot.

I did make an aluminum "bedding" block for the forearm.

It did take some tweaking, and one of the best improvements was throwing the Ruger rings and bases in the trash.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The fore ends are not attached to the barrels; they are attached to a hanger welded onto the receiver. they can be made to bear on the barrels, or not; how much pressure they have is sometimes a factor. I have, and have barreled several; I think some of the bad reputation came from the low quality barrels of some very early Rugers. As indicated above, they certainly can shoot.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
What's accurate.

Less than 1 moa. You can hunt with way less accurate but that's no fun Cool.

Perry

I have 25-06 NO.1 well beat that easily.

I have a No.1 06 that is a 1.25 inch rifle.

I have killed dozens of head of big game with the 06.

So yes no and maybe.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As always, thank you gents!

Perry

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I had an early heavy bbl 243, with an Alex Henry forend, that would cluster 3 shots under a quarter of an inch.

And others that struggled to stay under two inches.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The very first No.1 Rugers had barrels made by Douglas. All of them shot very well. Then Ruger switched to different barrel makers. It is said that they paid about $7.00 each for them. Most of them were real stinkers and not worth fooling with. Finally Ruger built a new facility in Prescott, Arizona which contained new hammer forge barrel making equipment. From that time forward, all of their No.1 rifles shot very well. All of the early No.1 rifles had red pads, all of the Prescott facility No.1's have a black pad. I've owned probably a dozen No.1's with black pads which were very accurate. I've tested quite a number of them over the years and same experience.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Finally Ruger built a new facility in Prescott, Arizona which contained new hammer forge barrel making equipment. From that time forward, all of their No.1 rifles shot very well.

Do you recall the date of the move to Prescott?

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 ruger number 1 - 30/06, 7x57, 300 h&h, 6.5 cm

I really like ruger number 1. Other than Blaser R8 receivers and Blaser k-95, the only rifle I would buy or even have the desire to acquire are ruger number 1.

I think a nice heavy ruger 1 shoots better for me than a Blaser k-95.

The only issues with ruger 1 is that they are finicky.

My 30/06 I bought on ar and it is one of my favorite rifles. Super accurate in 180 grain Barnes tsx.

7x57 same - bought from ar member with a load.

300h&h bought new on ar - boddington series. Super accurate.

6.5 cm I bought at my local pawn shop. Not accurate at all. Gave it to subsailor74 and he developed a load to get it to under 1 inch. Gun likes lighter bullets.

If I was to buy more ruger number 1 - I would buy them on at from someone who has a load for it. They are a product better bought used from a known rifle guy.

Saying that my local pawn guy has a new 270 that I will one day end up buying. They are few walk in customers for ruger number 1. He buys Linsey specials to get other hot guns - sig p365 ect.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

That's my experience as well.

I only experimented with Barnes bullets in my red pad, 270 Win and it shot the 140-150 grain bullets into shotgun patterns. The 130's went into 1 - 1.5 MOA and it loved the 110 grain bullets.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is the Wilson barrels you are thinking of, that were not of uniform quality. Of ten, 6 would shoot fine, two would not shoot into 3 moa, and two were in between. Poor quality control was the reason, and the model 77s had the same barrels. The move to Arizona was at least 20 years ago. Maybe 30.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

That's my experience as well.

I only experimented with Barnes bullets in my red pad, 270 Win and it shot the 140-150 grain bullets into shotgun patterns. The 130's went into 1 - 1.5 MOA and it loved the 110 grain bullets.

Yup they are very load sensitive. Not much gunsmithing to do to make them accurate just playing around with the right load. Ruger Number 1 - a reloader’s rifle Wink

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I've owned several Ruger No1s and the only one that did not shoot well was an early one with the whippy thin barrel that was all over the target at 100 yds with 100 gr Hornady bullets. I also had a later 243 no 1 that I bought for my youngest son, that shoots under 1 in at 100 yds.

I now have only one Ruger No1V bull barrel chambered for 7mm mag that is a tack driver with Winchester super X cases, Nosler solid base SP boat-tail bullet, 67 grs IMR 4831 powder, cci 250 primers, 3100fps.

That rifle is a P-dog exploader out to 200 yds.

……………………………………………………... tu2 old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loved them until one day at my uncles ranch I jumped a monster Texas whitetail on his low fenced ranch, missed the first shot and cut a 30-06 round half into closing the action too fast!! Uncle Jack still tells that story two or three time to everyone he knows and many that he doesn't know!! I was a little excited,and young and strong at the time. Had to stick 20 ga wire shotgun brush in the chamber to pull out the othe half of the case..Never saw that big buck again..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
The internal hammer swings through a wide arc so the laid back lock time can be problematic. However with the right loads the No.1's I have all shoot pretty good. An example -

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The usual cause of poor performance is the forend arrangement. If the barrel is fitted with a mounting pillar and the forend wood free-floated from the action, accuracy improves.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote