New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako L61 R/Finnbear, in 416 Remington Magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is this rifle? What is the difference between L61 and the current Sako? Is it a CRF action? Are they reliable at all? Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ming

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is not a CRF action. The rifle was most likely manufactured around 1990. These rifles were made just before Sako implemented their cost-cutting measures with the L691 actions.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, there is no "L61". All long actions of the pre- A-series were "L61R". It is probably the best action Sako ever made. Production started in the early '60s and continued until some time in the 80's when the very similar AIII and AV designated actions started. Early L61R's had a third safety lug near the rear of the bolt similar to a M98 Mauser. Later L61R's dropped this feature, as did the AIII, AV, and L691.

It is not controlled round feeding, which, coupled with a magazine that holds 4 belted magnums, gives you 5 available shots in a .416 when a round is manually chambered. This is one or two more than available in most actions.

If you don't want it, let me know where it is because I sure might.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the insight. I found a real nice one at auction arms. Here is the the link. Cheers! Ming

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=3211183

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That one is the last of the nice AV actions, made around 1990. It has the newer, more graceful stock that went on the more recent L691 model.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KurtC,

I suppose it is better than the current Sako 75 action. Actually, I was thinking about getting this rifle to rebarreling it into to a 450 Ackley. However, it seems like he would not want to take any less than $1k. How much do you think it should be? Thanks. Ming

one of us
posted Hide Post
I almost bought that one awhile back, but stumbled upon a .404 instead. Sako .416's are rare since they don't make them anymore. It would be a shame to dismantle one. I would not hesitate to pay $1K for a nice .416 like this one. All it needs are some ERA sights.