Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 Short Action Screw size
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted
I have a Remington 700 Short Action I need to know the screw thread size for the base and rings.

In particular the screw thread size that is threaded into the receiver hold the base on. The previous owner stripped out about 1/16" of the threads and I need longer screws.

I have tried to find it on Brownells web site but have not had any luck.

I would also like to purchase the correct tap so I could clean up the threads in the receiver. They have some kind of clear lock tight in them.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
They should be 6-48. Brownells sells oversized screws just for this reason, but IMO a better way to fix is to drill and tap to 8-40.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I called the gunsmith in Wichita he dosent have any screws that would fit. I don't want to buy a whole set to get 4 screws long enough that I can grind them off to fit. Anyone know where a person can buy a few?

Swede

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Exactly what kind of gunsmith doesn't have a collection of 6-48 screws on hand? Doesn't seem to make sense?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Exactly what kind of gunsmith doesn't have a collection of 6-48 screws on hand? Doesn't seem to make sense?

Yeah...I agree.

You can buy as few as 6 of any given size.

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GunCat:
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:

Yeah...I agree.

You can buy as few as 6 of any given size.

Thanks for the Link.
There is a Gun Show at the Cessna Activity center this weekend I am going to check there first if they dont have them I will place an order with Brownells.

Swede

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
At the gun show here last week in KC, there was a guy with a table full of plastic boxes of screws and miscellaneous parts sorted by model. I hope he goes to Wichita for you. I bought one 98 locking screw from him. It was all I needed. I handed him a dollar, he chuckled and handed me $.75 back. He didn't think he had any.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote