New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope picture
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have just noticed yesterday as I was zeroing in this Weaver V-3 on my .30-338 FN that on 1X power that the Vertical hair is not centered on the bore unless I move my head on the stock. Bullet placement is almost on target-still working up loads. The stock is a straight stock as per J.C. Higgins request. The image of the scope as I look thru it to acquire full picture without a shadow on the edge still gives me a off centered look down the bore. With a slight shadow of the left of scope the v. hair is lined up with the bore an front sight. I have a Weaver base and Weaver rings. Is there something I can do or is this the norm? Maybe it is just me. thanks.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sixteen hits and no answers -come on someone must have some pointersSmiler

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
grizz,

Call Weaver and get their opinion. You might have a bit of “slop†in the mechanism that moves the lenses for magnification changes.

Have you tried getting a good solid rifle/head position and slowly changing magnification up and down while viewing through the scope? Try that and see if you can pin point when and where any shift occurs and then you can relate that to the folks at Weaver when you call them. They will service the scopes for you and their prices are really reasonable for most work unless it involves replacing lenses.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz007:
I have just noticed yesterday as I was zeroing in this Weaver V-3 on my .30-338 FN that on 1X power that the Vertical hair is not centered on the bore unless I move my head on the stock. Bullet placement is almost on target-still working up loads. The stock is a straight stock as per J.C. Higgins request. The image of the scope as I look thru it to acquire full picture without a shadow on the edge still gives me a off centered look down the bore. With a slight shadow of the left of scope the v. hair is lined up with the bore an front sight. I have a Weaver base and Weaver rings. Is there something I can do or is this the norm? Maybe it is just me. thanks.

The scope could be sitting at an angle to the bore, wouldn't be the first time that has happened. How far from center, is your scopes windage screw adjusted?

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malm:

The scope could be sitting at an angle to the bore

All scopes sit at an angle to the bore (at least in the vertical plane). Many scopes are also a tiny bit out of line with the bore in the horizontal plane, but this is unnoticeable if your scope magnification is great enough that you can't see the front sight or barrel. When you crank a scope all the way down to no magnification, you can see everything out in front of you, including the end of the barrel. When the scope is "zeroed" at a certain distance for its reticle and the scopes bore to conicide, the muzzle of the gun may not be exactly lined up with the left-right placement of the scope. If your scope bases have windage adjustments, you can move the entire scope left or right to alleviate this situation. Otherwise, you'll just have to live with it.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[
quote:
If your scope bases have windage adjustments, you can move the entire scope left or right to alleviate this situation. Otherwise, you'll just have to live with it.

that sounds like very sound advice-live with it. will see what will fit this redrilled receiver down the road in regards to adj.bases. thanks. or have the 4 holes in the receiver filled and drilled correctly and .....come to think of it I recall seeing other scopes at low power settings appearing to have the same misalignment. QC .....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
[
quote:
If your scope bases have windage adjustments, you can move the entire scope left or right to alleviate this situation. Otherwise, you'll just have to live with it.

that sounds like very sound advice-live with it. will see what will fit this redrilled receiver down the road in regards to adj.bases. thanks. or have the 4 holes in the receiver filled and drilled correctly and .....come to think of it I recall seeing other scopes at low power settings appearing to have the same misalignment. QC .....

It's actually fairly common. If for some reason you have a gun that is printing way right, and to compensate for it you come way left, your crosshairs ain't gonna be centered.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I’m missing something, or I misunderstood the question, but why would the mounting system (bases/rings) cause the cross hairs to shift horizontally inside the erector tube when the magnification is changed? Or more specifically HOW would they do that?

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Maybe I’m missing something, or I misunderstood the question, but why would the mounting system (bases/rings) cause the cross hairs to shift horizontally inside the erector tube when the magnification is changed? Or more specifically HOW would they do that?

I think what he was saying was, as he backed off the power ring, the barrel came into view and the vertical cross hair wasn't sitting centered over the barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malm:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:

I think what he was saying was, as he backed off the power ring, the barrel came into view and the vertical cross hair wasn't sitting centered over the barrel.

Okay, now I understand. See I need a translator sometimes! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...will see what will fit this redrilled receiver down the road in regards to adj.bases. thanks. or have the 4 holes in the receiver filled and drilled correctly and .....come to think of it I recall seeing other scopes at low power settings appearing to have the same misalignment. QC .....
Hey grizz007, I'd encourage you to actually shoot the rifle as far away as you ever intend to use it on Game before you do anything else. Get it sighted-in for that fartherest away distance.

Then once that is done, try shooting it up close and see if the Point-of-Impact is off enough to matter. I'd "guess" it won't be off enough to be concerned about.
---

That said, if you retain the Weaver "Style" Base and DO NOT re-drill the Receiver, you could fix the situation with a set of Burris Signature "Z-Rings". The Z-Rings are designed to work on Weaver Style Bases.

Plus, you have all the excellent benefits of the Burris Signature design. Check their web site for Signature Rings and you can see the very best scope ring design currently available. They address multitudes of mounting problems that every other design made CAN'T resolve.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote