Find
Notify
Tools

Exporting from USA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A quick question.

Is there an embargo, or lesser restriction, on the export of firearms (and ammunition) from the US to Europe?

The reason I ask is there is a decided shortage of centrefire rifle ammunition in the UK. Retailers, and wholesalers, claim companies are not bringing the stuff in and are blamimg the US Government.

Is this correct, or is it just a business decision / stock levels vs. depressed sales?

Concerning rifles, if the restriction exists, does it apply just to the big manufacturers or would it affect a custom builder too?

I am actively thinking about commisioning a new rifle, but it is rather pointless if I cannot export the thing.

I suppose the restriction, if it exists, would also apply to actions and barrels too? So, I could not buy the components and have a rifle assembled in in the UK.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In short the answer is YES.

There is a whole range of restrictions on a wide range of products including scopes, mounts, brass, bullets and the list goes on and on.

The restrictions vary from country to country, UK and Australia are "friendlies" and some items can be shipped to those countries.

The problem is that most sellers can't keep up with the regulations and the necessary export permits so decided not to export at all, or if they do, charge 100's just for the paperwork.

See Sinclair's site for an example. Used to be a favourite supplier of brass, bullets etc. Can't ship now.

Forget getting major firearms parts like actions and barrels. The paperwork required of the seller is quite complex and requires the buyer to lodge their import permits first.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem is that so much hoarding is going on right now in the U.S. that the ammo companies can't keep up with demand, so there isn't any ammo to send over to the U.K. The problem is expected to ease in 6-12 months after the hoarders have all the ammo they can shoot in this lifetime, then the companies will be able to catch up and send some ammo over to you.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried to sell a set of Citori stock set to a fellow in the UK, everything went fine until I started completing the required paperwork through the USPS, it states I must certifiy that the item is not prohibited, guess what "gun parts" are prohibited. Further down it states sporting arms are OK with proper paperwork. So I write to US Customs for clarification and they advise me to speak with the ATF. I speak to ATF and I get a response from US Dept of Commerce who restate so many procedures and paperwork that needs to be completed including export permits that I just gave up...Uncle!

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote