Find
Notify
Tools

Stock and rifle question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
HI,
My girl(11) stated she wanted to take the hunters ed class today and that she wanted to apply for the youth hunts here in AZ.
Deer she said was first.
I need some thoughts on rifles and stocks.
Do I or should I just purchase a new youth model(ruger,rem, ect) or should I(if its possible)look for someone to build a youth stock for my tang safety ruger 77 270?(weight and barrel lenth maybe an issue as well as recoil). I also have a SW model 1500 .243. Id have to go the same route on the stock like the ruger.
The ruger has a 20 inch barrel, while the sw 1500 has a 24in barrel. Would it be a bad idea on either to take them down to 16 1/2 or 18 inches?
Looking for thoughts on caliber choices and such. I have a burris 3x9x32 mini that was put on the ruger(both were my first rifle/scope, bought in "78, I was 12) It is a very bright and reliable scope, which keeps the ruger light and compact now(as it is).
As to recoil my girl is 5'2" and is lucky if she weighs 90 pounds soaking wet.
All thoughts and Ideas are welcome
Thank You
Coues

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use the ruger. Look for a used stock on E-bay to cut or get a boyds laminate for $85 bucks. Cut to lenth and add spacers as she gets bigger, maybe knock a few inches off the forearm. I would not cut the barrel. I have a 243 youth with a 20 inch barrel for my 7 YOA. He handles it fine. My kids love to shoot ballons, they do not make a mess and most local ranges do not scream about them. If you can do it clay pigeons are a blast or anthying that does something when you hit it. Old fruit, water bottles. Load some light 55gr Varmit loads, after about a 100 of these I dropped a few 100grain deer loads on my son and he never blinked. He started off of shooting sticks before he went to sand bags. He seemed more confident to handle the recoil, kick the bolt out and let her handle the gun and get comfortable. Get her shooting everything reasonable every chance you get, a 222/223 is much louder than a rimfire, ease her into it, stress form and follow through. A 243 is no big deal for a girl her size once she is worked into it. I think the blast from the rifle will effect her more than the kick JMO, make her were ear plugs and ear muffs both. I had some reservations with my kids. I got to shoot a model 37 Featherweight with a 2 3/4 magnum when I was 8. The only coaching I got was do not drop my fucking gun. I wore a bruise for a month and the old man taught me a bunch. 30 years later I need to really disconnect to get good groups with anything bigger than an 06. You are a very lucky guy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest the S&W 1500 in the 243!
Especially so with someone who is light framed or a young beginner!

I'd look for another stock, that is shorter!

I'd keep the long barrel!
Most times, people just don't realize how easy it is to accidently point a short barreled gun at youself, unknowingly!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Coues, I would never, ever let a youngster that small in stature even get close to that Ruger. For deer you don't need a 270 so why subject her to what would amount to brutal recoil for someone so small? I'm 6'0" 240 lbs. and I don't like the recoil from a 270! Start her on the 243 and let her enjoy the experience instead of developing a flinch that she will never overcome. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info and help. I was leaning to the .243 I will start looking for a shorter stock or maybe find someone to build her one.
Not having any lamenated stocks of my own, would that be good idea for her? (Id let choose the color, shed get a kick out of that)
Thanks again for the help.

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shit, I just read that the Ruger is a 270. Too big. She needs the 243. My error, I mised the 270 part only saw the shorter barrel part. Too much OT latley. I agree with Jim 100%

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like my granddaughter but she didnt like the recoil of the 243 of a 700bdl with bull barrel. Girls generally do not have the upper body strength to properl hold a rifle with a long barrel and the stock has to be short enough to be supported with the forward hand. The 243 with its light bullet,105 gr should not be used on deer especially larger deer by anyone who is not a very good shot beyond 50 yards IMO. The 270 with 125 gr or so bullet and the shorter barrel should be more usable by any smaller stature person. Short barrel or long, if its not pointed in a safe direction, its time to end the hunt and go back for more training. For these reasons i built an M48 09 Mauser in 762-39 with 18 inch barrel at 6 pounds, for the grandkids to learn on. Light weight, short, low recoil
Results: One shot One kill 40 Yards
Shot placement is key. If the kid cannot hold the rifle properly,they cannot hit the target and felt recoil will be greater.
Success leads to continued interest. Good luck and success to your daughter.
Dick

Posts: 25 | Location: North Idaho | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
That 243 will be perfect for her for many years - just get a youth stock.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Geeze guys the .270 isn't exactly a hard kicker. Wink

My daughter is also 11 and about the same size. She loves to shoot my .270 and 444 Marlin when we go to the range. She always makes sure we bring the .444.

Having said that I would still reccomend something based on the .308. Such as the .243, .260 Rem, or 7mm-08. all three of these will provide here with plenty of bullet for deer and recoil is mild on all of them.

As far as having a stock made I wouldn't bother with it casue it will likely cost close to what a new rifle would cost. Now if you are just going to purchase a youth stock then that is certainly a good option.

If the funds are available get her her very own rifle. She will have more desire to shoot and practice with her own rifle as opposed to borrowing dads rifle. I know I did and so did my two kids.

I definetly wouldn't go cutting on the barrels.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do not cut the barrel. Muzzleblast is a large contributer to potential flinching. I would hunt her woth shooting stick or a Harris bypod or some other way for the rifle to be supported when actually taking the shot. Therefor she will not be holding the rifle up and barrel length will not be an issue as far as weight. Heck, I take a rest every chance I get even if it seems like a chip shot. If a rest is avialable I use it.

If you are not adverse to cutting a stock I vote for the laminate and let her pick the colors. It gets he more involved and will make the rifle that much more "hers". Put the best recoil pad on you can too.

Good luck, have fun and stay safe.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A 6,5X55 SM or a 260 Rem in a Ruger Stainless would be fine.
A 120 grains bullet will not generate too much recoil. In Norway the youngsters starts with a 6,5X55.

Best Regards

Posts: 51 | Location: Westcoast of Norway | Registered: 09 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank You for all the help and Ideas.
Coues