Find
Notify
Tools

What's this tool called/does it exist?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Not_Infringed
posted
Same concept of a miter saw, except it uses a file.

I have to fit a barrel on my 1911 and need to grind down the back of the hood (so the barrel can lock up with the slide). Yes I know in the end the hood is going to have to be square with the breech face, but I'd like to keep things at 90° before I do the final finishing touches.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"All our liberties are due to men who, when their conscience has compelled them, have broken the laws of the land."
-- William Kingdon Clifford

Posts: 65 | Location: KC, MO | Registered: 17 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a die filer and it is like a scroll saw with different shaped files.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Surface grinder and a harig head. But I doubt you have that just lying around.

Doesn't brownels have a fixture for this stuff???

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a look at the gizmo used to sharpen chain saws. It can be adjusted to various angles - albeit it is desighed to use a round file but should still give you a square cut. FWIW --- John303.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you get the piece in a vee block? The side of the block could serve as a guide; I don't know which would be better, a hardened cast iron block, or hardened steel, but either will resist a file.

Just thinking in print, here.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
Can you get the piece in a vee block? The side of the block could serve as a guide; I don't know which would be better, a hardened cast iron block, or hardened steel, but either will resist a file.

Just thinking in print, here.

For that matter a cheep V block from Enco or Ebay would do the job. It don't have to be .0001" tolerance so one of those Chinese cheepy v block is a good idea there Tin can

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Find someone with a lathe. stick the barrel in the lathe and square and trim it to length in one pass. Or, cut and fit the hood by hand. Pretty simple to do with a vise, a file and a good sense of when to stop.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
cut and fit the hood by hand. Pretty simple to do with a vise, a file and a good sense of when to stop.

A little layout blue or lamp black along with this line and it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
It is a good thing to want to do things ourselves. It is a way to keep knowledge and independence alive.

At the same time, we hire gunsmiths because they have practical experience which we do not have...or better skills...or more time than we have available.

The most important item is "practical experience". So, I am not recommending a gunsmith to you, but AM recommending that you get some practical experience before you set forth working on a good new barrel. If I were you, I would acquire a couple of old junker barrels and try your hands on them. You will soon enough find out what works, and why. Then you can set out on your good barrel with every reasonable expectation of success.

Good luck.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote