Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine for a Zastava?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys

I recently got onto a left hand Zastava action with a 300 Win Mag box. I would like to turn this into a 416 Rem mag. Is there a replacement magazine box available after market or do I just work with the standard magazine?

Thanks

Fergus

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Care talking about the Daly action? If so while they make a 375H&H action I would think the chances of finding only the triggerguard assembly would be slim and none. The box in opened in the front only. The factory box has the front of the box removed and then an extension spot welded in. Then a lot of metal is removed from the feed ramp. The bottom line of the guard as it would be inletted is the same.

A box for the old MKX whitworth or most 98 actions that had been opened to handle the 375H&H should work.

For my $$ I would sell it and pick up a LH M70 you would be money ahead.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Fergus,

I'm impressed that you managed to locate one in a short magnum action. The only ones available to us here in Europe so far have been standard actions.

I did take a pretty vanilla-flavored L/H .30/06 Sprg. and had it turned into a 9.3x62. Biggest advantage was there were no other modifications required other than installing the barrel and a minimal amount of feeding work.

I haven't been able to find a magnum (bolt-face)action (short mag) like yours. If I did it would imediately become a .416 Taylor and another top choice IMO would be the .458 Win. Mag.

I would consider the .416 Taylor the perfect choice without having to do a whole lot of anything else. The .458 #2.

Have fun on your quest. Right handers just cannot comprehend our continual search for "normal" stuff.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I've got a 416 on a 375 action and Blackburn standard box with the front cut out (nothing welded in) and the stock acts as the rest of the box. It was a short-cut 15 years ago to get ready for a hunt and it works so well I never got around to changing it.

Sometime next year I may restock the gun and take that opportunity to cut the front half along the bottom metal about 1/2 of the way back and spread it a tiny bit and add the front piece. A 375 box is just a tad narrow up front for the 416 and way too narrow for the 458 Lott. You might achieve the same by welding your box extention to the outside instead of the inside like Zastava do. That may be wide enough to be OK.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys

Thanks for the input.

Fergus

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerry

I just recently found this supply of Zastavas and at the good price on offer, I bought 4 of the left hand actions. 2 are magnum bolt faces and 2 are 30-06. Once of the mags will be a 416 and on of the 30-06 bolt faces will get a little surgery to the bolt face and become a 9.3x64.

The other two are just spares, though I have some idea of how I might use them.

Photos will be posed around mid 2006 when these are done.

Fergus

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fergus,
If you don't mind, could you post or PM me with the source of these actions? I might also be interested if there are any left.
Are you having 3-P safeties installed?
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Stu,

I'll be really nice to you this weekend - we need to have a talk!!!!!

beer

Fergus,

Cool

Cool! Sounds like a couple of interesting projects. I've seen the results of work you've already had done in your collection from your website, so I'm sure they'll be VERY nice indeed. Post those photos so we can oogle when they're done.

thumb

As you can tell I'm a KISS (Keep it Simple - Stupid!) kinda guy when it comes to lengthening standard/magnum length actions.

My 9.3 is getting some cosmetic surgery; a facelift, as we speak. The Bell & Carlson stock is in the local automobile body repair shop getting a new coat of paint! If I can ever overcome my current picture posting challenge; I'll post some photo's when it's complete.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stu

PM on the way.

Fergus

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerry

quote:
If I can ever overcome my current picture posting challenge; I'll post some photo's when it's complete.

If you want photos posted, email them to me and I will post for you. Always nice to see photos of someones rifle.

Fergus