New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser pad
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Mauser stutzen 7x57, anno 1942....pad dried out and spacer cracked....dimensions 5.34 long and 1.55 wide. Ideas for what pad should go on here?...before I do something stupid. LOP to the wood is 13 1/4 so 1/2" would be good for me.

Don't think this was original...what pad would be more "right" for the gun..if there is one.

SORRY...put this in the wrong discussion...should be in Gunsmithing

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:

SORRY...put this in the wrong discussion...should be in Gunsmithing

Moved.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's has a .60 pad that should meet your needs. They are black or brown.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
NEC has a .75" red which I think is the best color for your age of rifle.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in England we'd have used, at that time, either a leather covered pad (Holland & Holland and others) OR a vibrant red or orange.

The choice is yours...you do tend on original guns to see more red than the bright orange you see on the right in the picture.

Indeed until I searched out Silver's Recoil Pad on the internet I didn't know ones that were such a bright orange existed!

Website here;

http://www.new-kynoch.apt-sites.com/silvers.html

Now, fortunately, the US makers do a pretty good replica at a fraction of the price! This is the Pachmayr (now Lyman) "D752B Decelerator Old English - 01423" in RED.

Fit it then have you gunsmith grind the sides to match the stock of the gun and either leave the back unground or grind it to fit your personal LOP.

Don't use a brown rubber pad...it just isn't right IMHO for your rifle if you want to keep it "in period". Brown LEATHER COVERED for sure, yes, but that false brown "leather texturised" rubber? Ugh!

Hope that helps.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also consider a Galazan pad in red: http://www.csmcspecials.com/Ga...Pad_p/galazanpad.htm

You might want to look at other pads available on this site.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote