Find
Notify
Tools

Wipeout-bore cleaner.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tried some wipe-out bore cleaner.
After all the hype I eagerly bought a can, sprayed the nice foam in the barrel and let sit overnite.
Truthfully it removed carbon fouling just fine and I liked the ease of use.
Removing copper as claimed? Not in my fouled .300 WBY. I still have to use Robla-solo for any serious copper fouling removal.
Considering the high price of wipe-out, I am a bit disappointed.
Like to hear of others about their copper removal experiences with Wipe-out.

Posts: 101 | Location: Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
My experience has been great.

You'll probably require a few applications initially. After that, it's been smooth sailing for me.

Here's a detailed discussion with pics.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/965100252/r/670108352#670108352

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sell it and I use it...I too had to use it several times before it (my Sako 222 Mag) came CLEAN CLEAN and I thought that I already had it clean with lots of scubbing with Hoppes, etc. a one pc. rod and plenty of trips up and down the old bbl.
I think once you get your bbl. clean then you will find it easy to keep it that way. I have had to let several badly fouled rifles sit overnight and a couple have had to have a dose of two overnights after being wiped out with patch. It does work and it sure is less mess and with fewer tools than anything I have tried so far. Don't give up..it works..it is just the first time it may be a bitch.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A bore scope down the barrel of a wipe out "clean" rifle might be a revelation to some.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
It has been my experience that the first time I begin to use it in a rifle previously cleaned by ANY other methods, I may have to use it up to four days in a row before I quit getting fouling of one sort or another out of the barrel....putting it in each evening and letting it sit overnight, then patching the barrel out the next morning.

The first couple of times, with a barrel that has been shooting jacketed bullets,, the fluid that runs out the end will be as blue as any blue ink I ever saw. By the third time, the "blue" will be greatly reduced. The fourth time or so, the patch and fluid will come out clear.

THEN, after that first through cleaning foray, one day of shooting requires only one application of the Wipe Out. It will come out a bit blue, but if I was to apply it a second day that patch would come out clean. That indicates to me that the first cleaning got all the bad stuff out and the second application was a waste of time & money.

HOWEVER, I emphasize.... I have never found a rifle so clean that Wipe-Out wouldn't be taking crud out of it for at least a couple of days when I first applied Wipe-Out to THAT individual rifle.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Note that instructions clearly state to clean ALL POWDER fouling out first, then use wipeout.

the powder fouling covers copper and restricts access of the wipeout to the accumulated copper fouling..

Or at least that is my understanding of it.

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a product being described as so easy there sure seems to be allot if directions, instructions and “gotta-do’s’ associated with it! bewildered

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I find it easy to use. I do not find it to be self-applying or magic.

If one follows the directions, it does a good job. I have used other products which had easier directions. On the other hand, they didn't do the job as well, or as simply as Wipe-Out once the directions are learned/imderstood/aplied.

YMMV...guess that's why the market provides more than one product.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
A bore scope down the barrel of a wipe out "clean" rifle might be a revelation to some.

Chuck

Chuck, I have a Hawkeye borescope and I check all my bores. I am a devout Montana Xtreme user and have never had problems removing copper with it. The bore scope proves it.

What is your experience with WipeOut and a bore scope?

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try using GM TEC or MP7 before application of Wipe Out. Makes it work even better at getting copper out.

I find you need to leave it for hours for best results & to cant the muzzle down only slightly so it can stay in the muzzle for as long as possible & not come out too fast.

Regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
John - Use 20 minutes worth of Montana XTream before WipeOut, and there will be no copper for WipeOut to remove thumb

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never inspected with a bore scope, but the stuff is a PITA to use and an ammonia chaser speaks volumes. A bore scope would be great proof for the unbeliever.

Letting a bore soak is not a wipe out original idea, and I find cleaning a rifle to contain less VOO DOO than many imagine. With my Dewey rods, Sinclair bore guides, and Birchwood Casey, shaken not stirred, the job is a snap.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck used the Dewey Rod, Birchwood Casey - I think its called bore scrubber but Bore Tech guides not Sinclair's. Thought rifle was clean but an appication of Wipe Out showed different.

Now I use MP 7 & Sweets or MP 7 & Wipe Out. And if I'm real desperate JB's.

Zero - Sorry can't get Montana Extreme here. Only got Wipe Out last year!!!

Regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the stuff. So what if you need to let it sit overnight in the barrel the first few times you use it on a fouled barrel. IMHO it works better with less mess and fuss than anything I've used in the past.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So when you all get all this fouling out, does your rifle shoot groups the same, better, worse??
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnT:

Zero - Sorry can't get Montana Extreme here. Only got Wipe Out last year!!!

Regards
JohnT

John, where do you get Wipe Out??

John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
It's been a disappointment for me. After several overnight applications, the patches DID come out clean. BUT took the rifle (s) to the range, and fired six (6) rounds through each. IT took me 3 and even four overnight applications to get them to come out clean again. Not cost effective. Oh yeah, I did try using Shooter's Choice, Hoppe's and Foul Out one time prior to Wipe Out to further experiment. Same deal. So, I'm back to the old methods. Hoppe's or Shooter's choice then a few times a year Sweet's. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JAL,

Western Firearms in Penshurst have it as does Smiths. Call first not always available. Pricey about $25 I think but it does work. A bit of a learning curve to squirting it in without waste. Lasts a fair while thereafter.

Regards
JohnT

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
John - I am surprised that as good as Sweets is that you would not be using it. And I know you can get Sweets all day long down under thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the campfire:
Jal asked an important question- How did your rifle shoot afer all of that cleaning? Any change? I clean my bores with a bore snake and hoppe's 9 or copper remover, some times mil surp. bore cleaner, and I have not notice a degredation of accuracy over several years. I did try a foam cleaner recently and it seemed to clean well, but I could not see that it made much differance in how the rifle shoot, and that is the big question is it not? I have a theory that the copper plates the rough spots in a bore and actually smooth out the rifling, esp. in an older rifle. Not that I let a lot of anything build up in my bore.
How does the group clean chambers. Here is where I really have some questions about how clean, oil, extraction vs sealng.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeSharpe:
How does the group clean chambers. Here is where I really have some questions about how clean, oil, extraction vs sealng.
Judge Sharpe

Judge,

All my center fire rifles are .30 calibers (308, 30-06, and 30-40) so the size of the bore brush I use in the chambers might not be correct for other calibers, but you obviously want a brush that is larger than bore size on your rifle so it will reach the walls of the chamber.

After cleaning the bore I take a .45 caliber bore brush with a bit of solvent on it and "screw" it into the chamber. Once it's in I rotate it (never pushing in and out) about 10 or 15 times and then "screw" it back out.

Then I wrap a patch around the same brush and use the same procedure as above until I come out with a clean/dry patch.

If the rifle is going to get put away for a long time I run a patch lightly coated with my home made "Ed's Red" solvent through the chamber and bore and put the sucker back in the safe.

Before shooting again I will run patches through the bore and chamber until they come out dry.

I never shoot with any oil in either the bore or the chamber...but I'm sure you will find guys that will say different.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interestingly enough on a .270 that shoots easy sub moa groups I cleaned with wipeout over several nights to get it squeeky clean...the first group out of that super clean barrel was the best group I have ever shot with that gun. Last week I did it again to see if I could repeat it, with the same gun...sure enough,it did it again. On my 06 it seems to shoot the same whether its dirty, clean, or copper fouled. On my 6.5X55 built on a Rem 700 action w/a Pac-Nor barrel, no question it takes at least 10 shots before it settle down to consistantly wonderful groups.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I guess it's the ammonia that bothers me in these agressive copper cleaners and one of the reasons I'm so pleased with Wipe Out results.

Once you've gotten the gun clean with Wipe Out, then it's only one or two applications after the next shooting. Sure, it's two over-night settings, but hey, it's only 4-patches (2 per cleaning).

Back to ammonia, I've never had any problems with the Sweets, Butch's or other high-ammonia content cleaners (then again I've never looked at the bores I've cleaned with them through a scope).

I shoot Double Rifles mostly and a new set of barrels for a DR are significantly more expensive to replace than having a new Shilen threaded, chambered and headspaced.

For that reason, which is to take as good a care of my barrels as possible, I'm sticking with the Wipe Out and their non-ammonia formula.

To me, no ammonia is a big plus.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've never tried Wipe Out. I do use and really like Sweets. All you have to do is follow the directions on the bottle.

I hear a lot about how high ammonia ruining barrels. I've never seen one that was ruined. Anyone here personally ruined a barrel with Sweets? I haven't!

I use Sweets on all my rifles including my Crica 1910 450/400 Double rifle.
Once again I just follow the directions on the bottle.

I have better things to do than wait for my bore cleaner/copper solvent to go to work.

Each person ought to use what they think is best. For me that's Sweets.
Just my opine!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Rusty, ammonia aside, I've used sweets for years, and JB's, and Butch's, etc... but did you see the pictures above? Sweets never did THAT, and it certainly never got my bores clean with one patch.

Seriously, it takes me 20-40 patches to clean a bore with sweet's. Maybe you have better luck than i do, but out of curiosity, how many patches does it take you to get the copper out of your double... just an average?

I haven't used sweets since buying wipe out the first time - you try this you'll throw the sweets away... ammonia or not.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
new_guy is right. I think that most shooters who try WipeOut will stick with it. I have literally dozens of shiny new brushes that I bought over two years ago that I am not using. Every so often I will run a brush with some Hoppe's to make sure I'm not letting any powder fouling build up. Usually I don't get much for my effort, but you know, old habits die hard. Just to reiterate, I think WipeOut is the best thing since sliced bread. A side benefit is that I use far fewer patches than I used to.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love Wipe Out...

There is absoluly no need to get a barrel squeeky clean, in fact its hazardous to accuracy...a couple of doses of wipe out in a 30 minute period is plenty, they before you shoot or hunt you have to fire two to ??? fouling shots most of the time before it will settle down and shoot.

A little copper wash is good..build up is bad.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If we keep our barrels clean with Wipe Out, will we have a more difficult time justifying new barrels ?

Don't want anything that increases my troubles.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnT:
Western Firearms in Penshurst have it as does Smiths. Regards
JohnT

Thanks JohnT, I'll get some posted up.
John L.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zero Drift:
John - I am surprised that as good as Sweets is that you would not be using it. And I know you can get Sweets all day long down under thumb

Sure Zero, but a couple of my rifles collect copper like you wouldn't believe, and on them I sometimes think someone has watered my Sweets down. Seems to take about as many applications
as shots fired. But as someone here said I probably don't really need to get it all out each time.
John L.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeSharpe:
Judge Sharpe

I don't think I have trouble with chambers, just try to get some Hoppies in there when doing the barrel. Then use a tight fitting rag for a quick dry-out, as with the barrel.
John L.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was an early user of Wipe Out and it works about as well as any other method with less hassle on the owners part. However, my main complaint with it, and why I use it much less than previously is the smell.

For better or worse, I've got a very sensitive nose and the stuff leaves a very distinct odor in the rifle. My theory is, if I can smell it, it must be like a neon sign on a dark night to the nose of wild animals. Same thing holds true for the "new" (to you youngsters) #9. I am not fastidious enough to keep wipeout of #9 out of the magazine well, etc in my rifles and if I've got to go to great lengths to clean up what I'm cleaning with, to hell with it. No kidding, I've smelled #9 on one of my rifles for over a month after using it.

Obviously this is not a problem with target, fun shooter type rifles and I still use wipeout but not on all guns nor all the time. BUT, I am a LOOONG ways from a clean bore nut, I clean 'em when I have to, usually at the start of the season or every 10 or 50 shots and go from there.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure, but apparently we humans stink something terrible to game, so take your smelly rifle upwind. :-)
John L.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoppes #9 has a proven attraction to game.

Better than an elk call, predator call, or any scent left.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the campfire:
So Hoppe's attracts wild game? I knew it workes on me, if I am still not too old the be considered wild game, and not road kill.
Seriously, order plays a largeer part in our lives and moods than is generally recognised. My wife puts some vicks on her upper lip if she does not feel well or is having a hard time sleeping. If I am down, opening a bottle of Hoppe's, the old kind that smells like banana oil will lift my mood better than any thing I know. It comes from my childhood when the best times I had were hunting and shooting. The next best is the smell of an old tackel box, not the stink of a newer one, but the old time reel oil and a little pipe tobacca, and worn leather. Now I am getting maudlin.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you like Wipe Out...I sell it. You can order it off my web site www.hunters-hq.com. It is on the products page.
Get your new Tuffpak while you are at it! Special AR member price on Tuffpaks. Wink

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote