New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Stock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am finishing a new stock from Elk Ridge, It's in their charcoal lamanent with ebony tips. I'm wanting to complete this in a matte finish with hand rubed oils.

I was reading an article that recomended using water after each layer of oil to cause the "whiskers "of the wood to rise so they could be sanded. Then repeat, oil, water, sand ect ....

WHat kind of oil,oil combinations and sealer are suitable for a matte finish. Also if anyboby has any experience with this process of removing the wood "whiskers" I would like to hear how it worked for you, and any other recomendations you may have would be appreciated

Sinmdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you whisker before you apply the finish, not after. Some people will whisker with each change of grit. I just do it at the end.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong but a laminate stock like those probably aren't going to benefit much from whiskering. I get a matte finish by wiping off the oil while it's still wet after wet sanding with thinned finish.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After you have the stock sanded/bronze wooled/rubbed as smooth as possible , sponge on just enough water to see the grain darken. You are not giving it a bath. Use a hairdryer held about 2 feet from the stock and "blow dry" it. The stock will lighten in color and you can now feel the whiskers with your finger tips. Put it away until the next day,then rub with the grain with the finest of bronze wool, then lightly use a tack rag to remove any dust. You are now ready to use whatever finish you have selected.
There are probably 10 gazillion sets of similar directions out there in cyber space. Good luck.

Posts: 1074 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i am making a laminated stock for a client right now-it is the first one I have ever made. I have repaired them and glass bedded them before, but that is all. I was surprised at how many whiskers popped up on this stock. I whisker after 320 grit, 400 grit, then 600 grit. I do not cut down this last whiskering, but rather lock them in with my stock finish. Sometimes I do not whisker after the 320 grit, but rather do it twice with 400 grit. I always whisker 3 times.

When I whisker, I wet a paper towel with hot water-as hot as my tap will get. I liberally apply it to the entire stock. Then I blow the stock dry wit a hair dryer and let it sit for a few minutes. I then proceed to the next grit, leaving the whiskers standing before applying the first few coats of stock finish.

Not saying this is the best way, or even a good way for that matter. But it works for me.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is what Lois does to my face before we go out to any formal evening functions.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for our response.

also looking for tips on what kind of oil is preferred.

Simdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Truoil is easy to find, even walmart. I think it's too thick though and I thin it a bit.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey lawndart - how does getting slapped figure into stock finishing?? Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am finishing the laminated stock with Acraglass. If I were to use a "stock finish" I would use Permalyn or ProCustom Oil. i suppose any of them would be fine, those are just the 2 that I like the best.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys

You can also use methylated spirits (alcohol) to raise the grain, it dries off fast with no chance of damage from overdoing the hot air. Just make sure its pure with no shit in it. As always do a test piece first.

Cheers

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use de- natured alcohol to wisker, it allows the wiskers to rise but i don't have to apply heat. it also keeps oily fingerprints off the wood.
be aware that all oil finishes that i ever used add some degree of amber color to the stock and it alters the colors of the laminates.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote