THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Is it worth rebarreling and bedding my stock .30-06?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it worth rebarreling and bedding my stock .30-06?
 Login/Join

posted
I love my REM 700 .30-06, but have toyed with the idea of getting a heavy taper custom barrel and doing some other accurizing.

Question is, is it worth the expense, or should I just go ahead with my planned purchase of a custom made .338 EDGE...or both?

Opinions?

Posts: 13 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 14 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The question is, what do you want to do? The 700 action is certainly worth the expense to rebarrel and rebed, and, depending on who does the work, it can me made to out perform most shooters. So, if you want to rework it, yes, it's worth it. If you want to buy a custom .338 Edge as well, then do it. Or, if you are interested, turn that 30-06 into a 338 Edge. No problem.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i sell and use BERGARA bbls. alreay threaded and chambered for rem. 700 I have one in 22-250 that shoots 1/4" 10 shot groups, so the bbls are accurate !

mtbullet

Posts: 12 | Location: montana | Registered: 26 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mtbullet

Is that .250-10 shot at 100 YDS?
If so should treasure that rifle. Its probably the most accurate 22-250 in the world.

Hal

Posts: 164 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or, if you are interested, turn that 30-06 into a 338 Edge. No problem.

You will find the 30-06 bolt face too small for the .338 Edge. It is possible to open up the bolt face, but just isn't worth it on a Remington. By the time you have that action accurized, machined for a Wyatt mag. box and the bolt face opened up you will have more money in it than a Stiller Predator action. It's almost a toss-up if you start with a 700 mag. action.

As to your question. If you rebarrel your 30-06 and keep it in 30-06, you will probably gain a small amount of accuracy, but not enough to make a difference in a hunting rifle. The .338 Edge is a completely different animal. It's almost always built for long range hunting. Because of it's heavy recoil the gun usually weighs in the 15# range, not a stalking rifle. If you are looking for a long range rifle the "Edge" is a good one, so is the 6.5/.284 and that will fit in your 30-06 action. I have built several of both and like both.....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to mention the 6.5-06, but 6.5-.284 is a good idea. A 6.5-06 would feed same as your 30-06 without doing a thing to the action. You get accuracy and range. On the other hand, you could go out and get a good used rem 700 in 25-06 for the price of the barrel job and be in about the same place except you would also have your 30-06.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hal H:
mtbullet

Is that .250-10 shot at 100 YDS?
If so should treasure that rifle. Its probably the most accurate 22-250 in the world.

Hal

yes, 100 yd. group. literally a "bug hole" slightly larger than bullet dia. Second best shooter I have so far, #1 is a .223 only because I've shot it a LOT more.

mtbullet

Posts: 12 | Location: montana | Registered: 26 June 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Outlaw,

It is hard to beat an '06 for a general rifle. It is not as well spoke of today as it was 25 years ago but with today's bullets it won't take a back seat to anyone for general use. Specialized rifles like the Edge are great too but in a different class and use than a general hunting rifle in my opinion. You of course nee4d both, but I will bet you will shoot the '06 more than the edge over a 10 year period. Putting a good barrel on your 700, piller bedding it and what ever lese you need to do to make it the best 30-06 you have ever owned is well worth the time and money. I have hunted with an '06 since 1966, I am on my third barrel. I would hunt anything in North America with it and almost anything else in the world If I can pick my bullets and shots.

Have a great day and remember this advice is wqorth what you paid for it.

Lowell

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done exactly what you are asking. I restocked and rebarreled a beat up mdl. 700, had the action trued and changed caliber to a 270 from the original -06. I wanted a long, heavier barrel contour, for long cross canyon shots here in UT. I was not dissapointed. I get 3180 to 3200 fps with 130 grain TSX bullets using Barnes Data. Its a little heavy with the #5 contour barrel but I don't carry it far. The very first groups to break in the barrel were 3/4 inch and it regularly shoots groups of 1/2 inch at 100. If you want to add a little weight on the front end I highly recommend a #5 Shilen Match grade barrel. Mine is the match grade, not the select match and it's a joy to shoot. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
How accurate is it now?

How accurate do you want it to be?

Are you trying to get a 1/2 inch shooter?

Are you trying to get a 1" inch shooter?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote