THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Install scope bases with epoxy? Locktite?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Recently acquired a Winchester semi-auto .22, with Weaver bases screwed to the top of the action. Only problem, all four base screws are stripped out. They hold somewhat, but can't be tightened very hard. Thought I would try glueing the bases on, with some type of Locktite, or epoxy. I would rough up the underside of the base, and a corresponding area on the top of the receiver, and use the existing screws, plus clamps, to hold everything together until the glue dries... The rifle has been reblued, and refinished, so has no collector value. I don't mind fastening the bases on permanently, as I just want the rifle for a shooter. Any ideas would be appreciated. Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of darwinmauser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldmodel70:
Recently acquired a Winchester semi-auto .22, with Weaver bases screwed to the top of the action. Only problem, all four base screws are stripped out. They hold somewhat, but can't be tightened very hard. Thought I would try glueing the bases on, with some type of Locktite, or epoxy. I would rough up the underside of the base, and a corresponding area on the top of the receiver, and use the existing screws, plus clamps, to hold everything together until the glue dries... The rifle has been reblued, and refinished, so has no collector value. I don't mind fastening the bases on permanently, as I just want the rifle for a shooter. Any ideas would be appreciated. Grant.

Perhaps you could retap the holes for a slightly larger screw.

It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack; not rationality.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Humpty Doo NT Australia | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
all four base screws are stripped out

Is it the screws or the screw holes in the receiver that are stripped? If it's the screws just replace them. If its the holes in the receiver do as darwinmauser suggest.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Epoxy might work - esp. since its only a .22 - just use a good epoxy and degrease both surfaces first. If It doesn't, then you'll have to retap or replace screws.

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 10/22 that I got at a pawn shop for $35 that came with stripped out scope mount holes. I roughed and cleaned that bottom of the mount and the top of the reciever and bonded with JB Auto weld 2 part epoxy. 10 years later, that rifle is still sighted in perfectly.

I have used epoxy alone on a 303 Brit mount, and the recoil popped it off with the first shot.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote