THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    anyone tryed free floating a rem 700 ADL synthetic?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone tryed free floating a rem 700 ADL synthetic?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've read that someone pulled the action+barrel off the stock, and then put small slices of credit card in the slot where the recoil lug slides into the stock. this changed the angle of the action+barrel from the angle of the stock keeping the barrel from touching the stock or free floating it.
He claimed it improved his grouping out of the ADL.
I just did the same to my 30-06 ADL, but haven't gotten to the range to try it out.
Has anyone else tryed this with the Rem 700 synthetic and has it made any difference on the acuuracy? Does this method of free floating sound like it could work, or does it sound bogus?
After taking the stock off, I soon realized how cheap th ADL synth. stock is. i could easily flex it side to side and when puting it back on noticed that there are uneven preasure points around the action and stock.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I glassed bedded a Adl synthetic in 300wm and free floated the barrel. Worked very well went from a 8 inch rifle to a 3/4 inch rifle.

When I got it there was so much fore end pressure that one could see the barrel move up wards when one tighten the action screws.

One can add glass bedding to the fore end to stiffen it up if needed. When I do that I wrap the barrel with some masking tape coat it with release and then bed it. then when one removes the tape you have a nice even space along the whole barrel.

Make sure when you bed it you cut locks into the stock to hold the bedding. I do mine my roughing it up then drilling many holes at differant angles about 1/8th to 1/4 deep to hold the bedding. I use a 1/8th inch drill.

I have never used the card trick. I use a dremil tool and a sanding drum and make sure the barrel isn't touching the stock at all. I then apply pressure to the fore end to see if I can make it touch. If I can I then use the above glass bedding to stiffen it.

Posts: 19450 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I free floated my tupperware ADL stock. After removing three screws, the OEM stock freely floated off, then a kevlar replacement freely floated onto the barreled action. Razzer

Seriously, I did free float the tupperware stock before I got around to replacing it. There were two problems. One, the tupperware is so flexy, that the fore end could still touch the barrel if you didn't hold it just right. Second, the tupperware warps severely when left in the hot sun. It would often warp enough to move the fore end against the barrel. I reduced, but did not eliminate the problem by gouging out the barrel channel. Even with 1/8" clearance, the sun would still warp it enough to make it rub.

The kevlar stock did not improve accuracy, but now the POI is stable, plus the lighter kevlar stock improves the balance.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Like popeman says, its big problem is the softness of the stock. When I do this, and I do this a lot, I install pillars on the front and rear tang screw, and also bed down some sort of stiffenig in the foreend, usually profiled SS sheet, but I have also tried pieces of carbon fishing rods, which worked equally well.
Sun heat is normally not a problem in Norway, so I do not do it for the warping, but stiffening the foreend makes it easier to shoot tight groops.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote