Find
Notify
Tools

Re: German M98 Custom Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up a sporterized K98 for $100.
The sporter walnut stock was worth nearly that.
The rifle would be worth allot more if they had not buffed the swaztica so much for the reblue.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found a German M98 that is already sporterized in a nice stock with a scope for around $350.00. I would like to pick it up and rebarrel to 257 Wtby Mag. Is this the action to do this with? And is it a good deal? New Douglas AG in heavy contour is about another $275 or so, what will a good smith charge to install??? Thanks

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bearcat,
It is hard to tell with the information you have given. You basically are buying it for the action, scope and stock. What is the action other than a 98, what is scope/bases and what do you mean by a nice stock. If you have a smith install a barrel let him buy it. He will sell it to you for the same price and the markup is part of his income.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Custom:

I'll have to talk to them tomorrow about the specifics, all I know is that its a German M98 action. It has a nice looking piece of wood on it already. As far as the scope goes I would probably keep it and put it on something else, or try and sell it. I just thought at $350 already having a stock and a M70 style safety that I might be ahead $$ wise. Is this true or would I be better off to just find an action like the VZ-24 or something and have a stock made/or buy one?? I want to rebarrel in 257 Wtby Mag, with a Douglas AG in target contour, is 26 inches long enough or would the 257 be better with a 28 inch barrel? Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bearcat,
It may well be good price. You can still find some 98's for around $60 or so but by the time you have them ready to barrel you can have a lot more into them. If you are happy with the stock it should work out. What is the caliber now?

I think that the 26" would be plenty long enough. The additional velocity would not be worth that hassle of the extra 2" or not for me anyway.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
By the time one has a 3-pos M70 type safety installed, has the bolt handle replaced with something that will clear a low mounted scope, has the rear bridge contoured and has the reciever drilled and tapped for scope mounts, you will have over $250 invested not counting the cost of the military action itself.

If all of these things have been done in a "professional" manner, and the stock is something you like, it sounds like a good deal to me. The scope and mounts would be "gravy" if they are worth keeping, still not a bad deal if they are not.

Beware of "Bubba" work.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
why do you want a mauser? For the same money you can buy a used Rem or Win and have it re-barreled. The mausers can be pretty, but they do not tend to be on par accuracy wise with more modern designs. Also you're much more likely to get more of your money back if you decide to sell the rem or win... converted military mausers can cost a ton of money to build/get to shoot well, and the return on the investment is usually very poor.

Posts: 347 | Location: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: 19 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the CRF of the Mauser/pre 64 winchesters, not only because of their looks but because of the smoothness of the actions themselves. I would love to get a pre 64 winy and rebarrel it, but you want to talk about expensive. I have nothing against the new push feed winy or remingtons, I have a safe full of them, but I like my pre 64's the best action wise and decided that if I was going to build a rifle that I wanted an action that was that smooth. So I guess its just my personal preference. By the way I found out today that the M98 rifle in question has a bolt face that is too big so I guess I'll keep looking. Thanks

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The mausers can be pretty, but they do not tend to be on par accuracy wise with more modern designs.

A rather bold statement.......care to elaborate on that one? I would guess there are a few members on this board including myself who would disagree with that statement. Then again, I may be the only one.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
When you make a statement like I assume you are talking about the different between hunting accuracy and benchrest accuracy? If so then I could agree with that. But for the most part any good riflesmith with the right barrel can get 98's to shoot at least a 1 inch group. In most cases much better.

In regards to benchrest accuracy then yes I would choose any current M700 that is tricked out, Sako L579, etc, etc. But for overall reliability I will choose a Tricked out M98, Springfield 1903, or M70 any day. IMHO.

-Mike

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I confess that I'm a benchrest guy, accuracy is accuracy.

The Mauser's 93,95, 98 etc. can of course be made into accurate enough deer/big game getters, I have a few that are "good enough" as originally built.

Got a nice 7x57 that shoots into 1.5"... plenty good for big game hunting. To get it any better than that would be mucho expensive. Been there and done that.

I've built dozens of "custom" rifles on Mauser actions, most on the 98. That was many years ago and the folks that wanted them just wanted to be different and have a rifle that was not exactly like someone else's.

They were all terribly expensive, some shot well under an inch with the right hand loads. Most were "average". In other words go buy a RemChester/Browning/etc. off the shelf, load for it and you'd likely get as good or better results for a fraction of the cost.

Now for varmint or target use, the Mauser is a loser every time. You haven't seen one on the firing line at a match in a few decades.

Don't get the impression that I'm knocking the 98, cause I'm not. I like them, still own several and I think next to a custom pre-64 Win they can be made (and have been made) into some of the most beautiful rifles in the world.

Beauty, reliable function with plenty good enough accuracy for game work. Sounds like a winner to me!

My comments directed to the original poster were based on my perception that he was looking to build something "economical". That's not gonna happen with a 98.

That's the spirit in which my post was presented, and if someone took offense, then I apologize.

Posts: 347 | Location: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: 19 November 2002Reply With Quote