Find
Notify
Tools

Who can contour a barrel???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen:

Can someone recommend a skilled 'smith/machinist to contour a barrel blank for me? It is a Half-Moon blank [very tough steel] and I want about a Douglas #2 or 3 contour.

Thanks,

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What part of northern california are you in? I just ask because if you aren't too far from Susanville what about seeing if an instructor or student in the gunsmithing program at Lassen Community could do it for you. Maybe get an instructor to use it as a demonstration and not get charged. Just a thought.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jordan,

What kinda "very tough steel" are we talking about here? Most barrels are SAE 4140 or 416 stainless (real old ones might be something similar to SAE 1340 or SAE 3300 series which is now obsolete). You got something different. Any of these steels is easy to machine, relatively speaking.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AC:

It is 4340 nickel chome moly [or something like that]. I had a fella contour one of these Half Moon rifle barrels years ago and he said it was the toughest steel he had ever laid a cutting tool against. I am not saying it presents any special problem. I just need someone with a contouring set-up on their lathe and who does quality work.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote