New
Find
Notify
Tools

M-1 in 308
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
picked up a M-1 garand the other day that had been rebarreled in 308. Some of the ones i've seen before had a lylon block in the front of the clip well to prevent the shorter ammo from sliding forward. Anybody know if this is really necessary. this one doesn't have one

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the nylon block was not to keep the ammo from sliding forward, but more so to keep someone from loading a clip of 30-06 and having it hang up 1/2 in the chamber with the potential of a slam fire (non spring loaded firing pin) with a exposed cartridge case. However, that is only opinion.

Fact is, I fired more rounds than I want to think about through 7.62 Garands in competition and never had a nylon block in one and never had a problem with cartridges riding forward in the clip. Remember, the clip is supported inside the action, so unless you have cartridges sliding forward, you shouldn't have a problem. I don't think it is necessary, other than the reason stated in the 1st paragraph. If you are worried about someone else trying to chamber an 06 in it, then install a block. I have one I will be rebarreling to 7.62 and it won't have one. However I will mark the bbl as to caliber and since I am the only one using it, I will know the difference between it and the one chambered in 30-06.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of obwhan
posted Hide Post
I have a National Match with a Hart barrel in 308 win never had a problem with the feed.

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER: USNR (ADCS/AW/SW) I have wonderer at times what the TEN COMMAMDMENT'S would look like if Moses had run them through the US congress

Posts: 95 | Location: Whidbey Island Wa | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Thaine is an old Navy shooter like me, and what he said is true. I wouldn't put the nylon (or any other flavor) block in there. In .30-06, there was always the fear of a "long round" that would prevent you from fully seating a loaded clip. With the .308, there is no such worry. Another benefit of the .308 Garand was that there is no worry about a warped/bent op rod. Don McCoy, the Navy armorer who was responsible for most of the .308 Garands, said that he had seen a few with distorted op rods and the accuracy never suffered like they did in the '06 variety. Have fun with it, they're great shooters.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by obwhan:
I have a National Match with a Hart barrel in 308 win never had a problem with the feed.

No you don't! Big Grin

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of obwhan
posted Hide Post
Well it is still in my hot little hands for a day or two. Good one trigger rotflmo

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER: USNR (ADCS/AW/SW) I have wonderer at times what the TEN COMMAMDMENT'S would look like if Moses had run them through the US congress

Posts: 95 | Location: Whidbey Island Wa | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote