New
Find
Notify
Tools

Banded front sights??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How are they attached? screw, solder? I see the NECG, look great, just didn't know how they went on.

Thanks.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
silver solder

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Hi -Force 44 solder.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck by drilling a shallow recess, slightly oversize, for the set screw to seat in, and just using Acraglass. How well does this hold up? Look back on this forum for my post "Removing barrel band front sight" or something to that effect. In a nutshell, it holds up as well as you'd ever need it to, anything in the field with enough force to knock it off would do a lot more damage than just disabling the sight!

Just be sure you mount the sights AFTER bluing, I think caustic bluing salts and even the boiling water of rust bluing might better be avoided with epoxy.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
I use Conap EasyPoxy (black) on guns that're already blued. It's important to remove the blue under the sight and make sure the surface of the barrel and the sight is mechanically and chemically clean.

Conap turns loose at 415F and caustics or acids don't bother it.

I still solder on 90% of them. [Smile]