New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not so smooth Bolt on Finnlight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking of using lapping compound, or JB on the outside of the bolt lugs of my new Sako Finnlight to smooth the action as it doesn't compare to my M700's or even Sakos I have handled. Basically work the bolt back and forth a couple of hundred times while watching the boob-tube. Dumb idea? Any other suggestions?

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Westernmass, is your's a 75 or 85 model? If so, I have experienced this ONCE out of over 25 of these model rifles I have worked with and owned. I won't say your idea is dumb, it is a pain in the ass--speaking from experience--to clean up, and JB did'nt do much for me. Lapping compound (Brownells has it or you can get valve lapping compound at the auto parts stores) did.

The other thing that might surprise you is just how much difference a good lubricant on the raceways can help. on other thing to look at, is to remove the magazine or drop the floorplate and cycle the bolt then, that will let you know if it might be a mag interference issue. I had one friends whose bolt cyled a little stiffly, it fed fine, but I popped the mag out and it cycled much smoother--we tweaked the feed lips on the mag, it didn't hurt the feeding, and the bolt cycled great after.

It is a RARE 75 or 85 that doesn't cycle smoother than a M700 or a Model 70 IME.

Good Luck!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish: It is a 75. I will check it out per your suggestion. It is very frustrating, but since its 14 degrees outside, I've got time to play with it.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westernmassman:
Fish: It is a 75. I will check it out per your suggestion. It is very frustrating, but since its 14 degrees outside, I've got time to play with it.

I hear ya, it's only in the 20's here in GA....
Sheez....good luck with your rig!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Just be extremely careful when using lapping compound to NOT get it on the locking surfaces of the lugs. It can increase headspace quickly.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I strongly recommend that before you do this with any type of compound you try working it without it.

I've smoothed dozens of bolt action rifles by simple working the bolt back and forth with a little up pressure and a little down pressure using nothing but good lubricant.

Work the bolt a few dozen time applying pressure one way and then the other. Wipe the bolt back down with lube and do it all over again a few times.

Usually this makes a BIG difference. I do it as a matter of course with every bolt action rifle I own.

If it doesn't work then go to plan B, I doubt you will though......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it only rough when you try to lift the bolt handle? If so it may have nothing to do with the lugs. I'd disassemble the bolt and make sure that there isn't any grit inside the bolt body or on the cocking piece. Sometimes a little lube on the cocking cam after cleaning will smooth it right up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's only rough sliding back and forth. I Don't intend to cam it open and shut.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I had a new MKV that was the same way. I applied gun oil and worked it back and forth about 200 times. After that it would slide by just tilting the rifle. Lapping compound is a bear to completely clean, so I'd go with gun oil to start.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote