New
Find
Notify
Tools

For Beginning 'Smiths: The Ideal Lathe Revealed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Bought this one in a 2nd hand store today.

Good one for the apprentice: Once he masters barrel chambering and threading on this beauty, he will be able to do anything, anywhere, at any time, with just the tools on his Swiss Army Knife.

-

-

Below photo has the Jewell sitting on my 14 inch:

-

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where is the treadle?

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Previous owner stripped the flat belt cone pulley, my guess is it had an overhead or a backstand flat leather belt drive. Probably with one of Edison's pre 1900 1/4 hp electric motors.

I will clean & polish it up, maybe new paint, and mount it on a block of tigerstripe maple. Then it will sit on display on a shelf or the desk.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

[ 11-26-2003, 09:24: Message edited by: rembo ]

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"I will clean & polish it up, maybe new paint, and mount it on a block of tigerstripe maple. Then it will sit on display on a shelf or the desk."

WHAT? ....why don't you thread and chamber a couple bench rifles with the old girl 'afore you put 'er out to pasture?

Man....if I found something like that at a second hand store,flea market or garage sale,I'd likely break my arm reachin' for my wallet.

What a find!

kinda reminds me of the home-made drill press that was in an old log shed,along with the forge, on a homestead my in-laws(now "ex") and I bought in 1980.Was built mostly out of flathead Ford V8 parts. Wish I'd have grabbed it then.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Can you find a patent date anywhere?

My little lathe has a patent of 1904 on the chuck, these things are sure a symbol of times past, when people actually had lathes in their home workshop!

Pretty amazing when you think about it.

Nice lathe anyway!

Mark

Posts: 7765 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, What a Trophy! Looks like some of the old tools one would see in the old pre 1915 Salmon Canneries up the coast here. Be a shame not to try her out, turn a brass thing-a-ma-bob or something. WALEX

Posts: 253 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First thing to do is put digitals on BOTH of your lathes, dials suck.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Didn't that one come across on the Mayflower? [Wink]

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Hey John,
I think you need to give that one back to me... I have it's match in a blacksmith's drillpress...

mine did come over with chris.... he got it third hand

jeffe

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If my old memory serves,the crown for a flat pulley is 1/8" in 12".It been along time since I wrote for my ticket.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the gents on D. Thomas machining forum tipped me off, it is a Goodall-Pratt model 125, first manufactured around 1900.

Look at the site for a history of this and other lathes: http://www.lathes.co.uk/goodell-pratt/index.html Seems there are not many of this lathe left, so it is a real prize.

Be sure to scroll around , jump to the top of the first page and click on home, then find "Other Lathes", click on this, and many names come up.

I eventually will make up a set of flat belt pulleys and a backstand drive and get it in operation. After I make some chips, it then will go on display on the shelf.

About breaking one's arm for the wallet: Found it in a huge 2nd hand store, with scores of consignment booths. Spied the lathe on the floor amid a pile of junk, it had a price tag of $55. Scooped it up and took it to the cashier, where I was informed the booth the lathe was in had a big sign saying "30 Per Cent Off". So I walked out of the store with the lathe and left only $38.50 plus $3.18 sales tax. Not only a prize to find it, but the cost was somewhat "absurd".

For Jeff: Already got the drill press, it is destined for an overhaul before it goes on display in the shop:

-

[ 11-28-2003, 04:25: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's neat John. I saw one similar in an estate I appraised. I wanted to aquire it (along with a new Stevens 441/2) but the the trustee had some other arrangement. I seldom have much success at such things. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3586 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,

Finding this little lathe was pure accident. I am sure if a "Trendy" antique shop in a larger city had the thing, the price would have been much, much higer.

Took it apart yesterday and scrubbed 100 years of grim away, there actually is bright metal now showing!