THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Who makes best-cut rifled 416 caliber Barrels: Dan Peterson or Krieger?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes best-cut rifled 416 caliber Barrels: Dan Peterson or Krieger?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who makes the best Chrome-moly cut-rifled 416 caliber Barrels: Dan Peterson or Krieger? Does Boots Obermeyer make Chrome-moly 416 barrels? If so, how do his rank as well?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I'd get a Krieger, though I am not really all that hung up on having a cut rifled barrel. Obermeyer, even if they make them, will be quite a wait (perhaps years) to get one...

I doubt you'd ever shoot out a button rifled 416 barrel...

posted Hide Post
I have seven of Dan's barrels and one krieger.
The eighth Peterson is on order.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I have a Krieger than Danny rebored for me....so BOTH! Big Grin thumb

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
I have barrels from both and they are both good. Obermeyer makes a great barrel also. I have five or six of his, but good luck getting anything other than 30 cal or 6.5 MM from him. Obermeyer does a lot of 30 cal barrels for the military and the 30s and 6.5s are used by high power rifle competitors who are one of Boots' major customer bases.

Dan is more of a full service gunsmith than Krieger. He can give you a barrel with integral fittings, or other special features. Dan made barrels for Fred Wells (used to be in the same shop) and I believe he does a lot of work for GMA. With Krieger it's pretty much their standard patterns.

Don't count out Mark Chanlynn at Rocky Mountain Rifle Works. He makes a nice cut rifled barrel also.

In a 416 (or probably any other caliber) I don't think any of us could tell a difference in how barrels by any of these makers shoot.

Forrest Bowers

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Jim Baiar @ Halfmoon Rifle Shop.

He makes as good a barrel as anybody and uses slighly tougher steel. 4340... IIRC

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote