New
Find
Notify
Tools

1903 Greek Mannlicher
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know the barrel thread pitch and diameter?

Thanks in advance

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
de Haas:

"Greek Mannlicher-Schoenauer"

12 V tpi

1.06"

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might try matching the thread to a thread pitch gauge. DeHaas says a Carcano is 14 TPI but it is not it is metric at 1.75mm per turn which is a little over 14.5 TPI. A 14 TPI pitch gauge will not come close to matching a Carcano barrel shank.

If you are not in a hurry I have a new 1895 Dutch Mannlicher barrel that I can check. My rifle was made by Steyr in 1900 and is the predecessor to the Mannlicher-Schoenauer.
I know the 1.060 is correct for the major diameter because I wrote that down.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
You might try matching the thread to a thread pitch gauge. DeHaas says a Carcano is 14 TPI but it is not it is metric at 1.75mm per turn which is a little over 14.5 TPI. A 14 TPI pitch gauge will not come close to matching a Carcano barrel shank.

If you are not in a hurry I have a new 1895 Dutch Mannlicher barrel that I can check. My rifle was made by Steyr in 1900 and is the predecessor to the Mannlicher-Schoenauer.
I know the 1.060 is correct for the major diameter because I wrote that down.

I'm not in a hurry and would interesting in hearing what your barrel thread pitch is. By the Brownell's tech staff said the same as Tin Can it's 12 at 1.06 diameter.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I checked the pitch with a thread gauge.
It is exactly 12 TPI. I also checked against a 1908 DWM 98 Mauser barrel shank which are all know to have a 12 TPI pitch and it was an exact match too.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote