Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Help selecting barrel for a 300 Mag build up
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
The Boyds JRS is a well designed stock. And the laminate can really take a beating. Not near as light as the synthetics but still a good stock. I love the McMillans but they can be a bit pricey. Have you looked at H&S Precision? That is another option. You should be able to have it shooting by this fall no problem.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well George, you can probably surmise from our previous conversations, I've scrapped the WSM wait. I have a 700 in 257 STW that washed out in 600 rounds. Can't tell a kid anything. So rather than dump cash into a new action, etc. I'll just "re-discover" an old one. Tell me more about left handed stock options ??? I was honestly contemplating getting a Boyd's beater and have a gun up and running this season (late). I thought McMillan was about the only real game in town, but maybe for a full sized LA lefty in 700 there are other markets ?? Same turn around times of 3-4 months? I'd also like something other than black, purely cosmetic, as are the flutes.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jesse,

Check out Brown Precision . Look at the photo on the right hand side of the home page; the two stocks I have are like the "Pound'r" on the second rifle from the bottom (camo, open grip, no cheekpiece).

I don't know about their delivery times.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn you are fast........Get to work ! Thanks

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are some measurements on a number three Hart barrel I had fluted recently. there is plenty of metal to flute with if you dont flute too deep. if you flute too deep than there could be concern that the internal stress relief could open the bore diameter. But the levels of conservatism of a barrel maker (all barrels need to be perfect) and a builder/shooter (I am happy if my barrel is perfect) are different. I like fluted barrels. I flute my barrels. I do not have the flutes in a no 1 as deep as a number 3 or 4. BUt here in Arizona if you shoot in the summer you flute your barrels.

Specs on a recent fluted barrel: No 3 Hart.

weight fluted barrel: 2 pounds 14.5 ounces

length of shank: 4.25 inches

diameter of shank: 1.15 inch

diameter muzzle: .615

diameter at breech end of taper; .750

Twist is 10 inches.

stamp on end of barrel K303, and 30.

Fluting by Mel Doyles shop in Idaho

This barrel is either sold already pending finalization, or it will be listed on the classified section here for sale.

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote