Find
Notify
Tools

Can a Citori be Hot Blued?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
Anyone here done this or had it done? The factory finish sure looks like hot bluing but I don’t want to try and end up with a bunch of pieces.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the junctions at the muzzles .. clean with emery if necessary .. if you see brass color the tubes/ribs brazed (as are most modern guns) and you can hot blue. If you see silver/gray, it's soft solder and you have to rust blue. Or you can just play it safe and rust blue, doesn't cost much and it's a better finish in every respect.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the Citories I have, a 20g that's a 'field' model, has barrels that appear to be 'black plated'. That'd be a chore, removing before bluing either way slow rust or hot caustic.

Posts: 715 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have brazed ribs, I rust blued some a while back, but only because that's what he wanted.

Posts: 427 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
The Citori is made by Miroku in Japan. I had to get the barrels on my Miroku O/U which is just a copy of the Browning (or vice versa) reblued after spilling battery acid all over the gun. They were hot blued.

Posts: 3912 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I worked at the Browning Arms Gunsmith Shop in Arnold, MO for several years, Citori can be hot blued. Unlike soft soldered Superposed barrels which cannot and must be Belgian (hot water) blued.

Posts: 411 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I knew someone here would know.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just rust blue it, always the best blue regardless IMO..love that stuff..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote