Notify
Tools

Big Stop'n Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted
Gentlemen

Here is the problem I face. I have recently moved from Louisiana to Georgia. Now at home most folks shoot hogs with their hunting rifles, or a good handgun in .357,44, 10mm etc. I even know a few brave rednecks with hounds and a Bowie knife. They can put the chops on the table.
It seems that here in Georgia, from all the talk at least, that these an�t no regular hogs. They seem to be an extra wild and burly type capable of totting off capacious amounts of lead. All the while clearing timber and brush like a Volkswagen Bug sized bulldozer. So I got to think�in. (Yes it hurt) I need me a stop�n rifle. One of maximum caliber and power. A little research gets me to the 500 A-Square. I like it. It�s big and powerful like these Georgia pigs. So......

If I were to take a CZ 550 Magnum in 416 Rigby and barrel it to 500 A-Square, would there be much trouble to make it feed? Also where does the 505 Gibbs come from (parent case) and how hard would it be to make one work in a CZ?

Thanks
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Gibbs I think is its own parent case. Do a search on the big bore forum for 505 Gibbs in the last 4 months, you will find some great topics on the CZ550 and making it work. Also worth contacting CZ-USA as they are considering producing it.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Blue,
Just load some medium jacket Hawk bullets in that .416 and I promise you that they ain't going too far. The soft hawk will be dinner plate size when ya find them!

You got plenty of rifle.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
why not a 50 baywolf on a mini mk 10

one of us
posted Hide Post
I live in Georgia and hunt pigs all the time with a 223. You might be overreacting a bit

Posts: 54 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
1:.. the 500 asquare is the perfect/easist choice for a 50 in a bolt rifle
2: there's a little feeding, but any BB smith can do it
3: the cz 416 is the best choice for starting rifle
4: MAKE DAMN SURE it has a recoil lug on the barrel
5: the parent case is the 460 weatherby... not a gibbs, which means it'll be cheaper

I like the story on why you need it... and hell yeah, you DO

jeffe

Posts: 38601 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Damn! Next time I eat a ham sandwich Im gonna think about this thread, get on my knees and thank the lord for that bad boy!

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote