New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remingtion 03 Worth
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was asked by a local gun shop here what I thought a Remingtion 03 rifle in 30-06 would be worth.

Since I haven't the faintest idea I thought I would ask here.

It has an older Monte carlo stock, nothing special barrel. But the action is gorgeous, beautiful polish, nice crisp lettering and what I think is a very nice Short body Lyman Peep sight.

We were talking that the action is the only thing worth any thing really. It would sure make a nice rifle, rebarreled into a 35 Whalen with a old style G&H stock.

I thought I remembered that some serial # range were a problem so, here is the serial # 3293793.

I have no stake in this rifle, I'm just trying to help out a nice little gun shop and someone on AR might get a really nice 03 Action.

Ideas on value? I could get pictures if that would help.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one just about like the one you're describing a year or so back on Gunbroker. I paid $325 for it as I recall. It's now in the form of a G&H sporter nearing completion.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Do you happen to remember the maker's name stamped on the right front of the receiver?

For some reason that serial number strikes me as being a Remington-made rifle from the beginning of WWII. They were very strong for Springfields, but never brought a very large price unless all military original right down to the barrel bands. (In all original military configuration, they might go as high as $1,000 locally.)

As to action values, I have seen them here in Oregon as recently as last February's local gun show for less than $150. I bought a Mauser action at the same show for $125, and the Springfields were definitely no more expensive...

If the gun is really in nice shape, it would sell for $300 to $325 in local shops...or at least that's what they'd start out asking for it.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The link below has a lot of info on the Remington 1903's.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/602102518/p/1

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Allen

That 03 is made of Nickel steel and is very strong action. In fact, all Remingtons both 03 and 03A3 were made of nickel steel. The 03s are a bit nicer in general as they are usually better finished.

I would also say about $300 plus or minus is a fair price if the stock is fairly well done and the action has the milled trigger guard and floorplate. In the past I have sold the stocks and barrels to help offset the price of the action and often had about $150 plus or minus in the action alone when all is said and done.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
$300 around here. The Remingtons were never involved in the Low Number/High Number problems that the Springfield and Rock Island actions had. They were not generally as well-finished as the others either.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 329 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote