Find
Notify
Tools

Re: whitworth 7x57?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I emailed the lister. He said that it was a MKX made before 1985 and didn't say Yugo on it so it should bring a little premium. I just looked at 4 MKX I had in the safe. The say Mark X Manchester England and Alexandria Vir. The latter MKX had the button release on the floorplate and I believe siad Yogo on the side or maybe Zav??? It looks to me like a standard MKX barreled action. That is either in an aftermarket stock or someone refinished the factory. I think his starting price is on the upside. I have bought 3 over the last 2 years from $269-310. The last being the high grade stock.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
9,3X62

I doubt this is correct. The whitworth I have seen is made in Yugoslavia or Serbia. I doubt it should be any different in this case. Judgeing from the pictures it seems looks Yugoslav with forgesi identity

Cheers
/ JOHAN

<9.3x62>
posted
I like the look of this rifle. Claims to be a English-made (manchester?) Whitworth. I am aware of the good reputation of the famed Whiteworth express rifles in 375 and 458, but how does this smaller bore rifle stack up?

Here is the URL:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=5488294

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a Yugoslavian Mark X action. Whitworth rifles were "assembled" in England using Mark X actions.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Whitworth series of the Mark X was made between about 1975 - 1995.

All of them started out as actions made in Yugoslavia.

If any of the work was done in England, it will have the Manchester mark on it. There is a rumor that some late models are labeled Whitworth, but do not have the Manchester mark on them. These were not assembled in England.

There is nothing guaranteed about the Manchester assembled rifles. Some are rather nice, some are pretty lame. It depends on who was working that day. Always buy them with an inspection period.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the actions were made in Yugoslavia -- but the Yugo markings may be below the stock line.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
John,
You are correct. Looked at two action with no reference to Yugo showing. Both had yugo on the left hand side of the rear Tang.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote