Find
Notify
Tools

A .257 Roberts on a SA700?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
What is involved in making a .257 Roberts based on a Remington SA700 with a .473 Bolt Face? I am aware of the "3 inch" .257 Roberts and the issues of seating depth. The action was originally built as a .243 Win. What is involved and what would you recommend?

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Matt--

I just built a 6mm Rem on a SA with no problem at all. Try a 257 in the magazine and see if you have clearance. Take out the spacer if it has one..... put a barrel on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Belk,
I greatly appreciate your input. The only .257 Roberts ammunition I have on hand are handloaded 100 grain Nosler Balitic Tips, for a LA700, that are too long for the magazine by .150" or more. No doubt I could make that load fit without a great deal of difficulty. Is there any need to change the follower or modify the feed rails? Is there anyone in particular you might recommend for such a project?

I am considering a #2 or #3 contour stainless barrel at roughly 22 inchs. The stock would be a McMillan Mountain Rifle in ADL configuration. The trigger will be a Jewell HVR. Thinking Talley Lightweight Mounts and a Leupold 2.5-8x36 would round out the package. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Matt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 257 Bob is a Ruger 77 (early model) short action. I haven't seen any problems with factory ammo, and I just load my own to a COL that will fit in the mag box. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
M i V---

The 117 gr Hornady BTSP Interlock ammo fits the SA box with .070 to spare.

It's a straight-forward job with no magazine alterations needed. Just barrel and go.

Any 'smith that's qualified to rebarrel a Remington can handle the job. There're several that post here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rem 722 which was a 257 Roberts (now a 25-284) which preceeded the 700 SA. Years ago I replaced the bolt with a 700 SA bolt and installed the trigger guard highed floor plate from a 700 to replace the stamped guard - screw holes all matched up. Not an issue.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Roberts from the factory. A Remington ADL short action. I'm still playing with loads for it.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your input.

Regards, Matt.