Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wookie316
posted
I am curious what the best barrel length & twist is for a 9.3x62? I plan to shoot 286gr bullets.

Posts: 138 | Location: Border City (On the poor side)}:-( | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I built mine using a Lothar Walther barrel that was cut from 25 inches to 23,5 inches and shoots like this at 100 metres:

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I used a L-W barrel also and went from 25" to 21" and it shoots bugholes too. The barrel has a 1 in 14.25" twist and loves 286gr bullets. Gotta love Lothar Walther 9.3 barrels.

I've heard of 9.3X62's with barrels from 20" to 26".

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
If I was going to build one again I will do it 21 or 22 inches, not more.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wookie316
posted Hide Post
Wow if that's what I have to look forward to, I believe I will be pleasantly surprised.

Posts: 138 | Location: Border City (On the poor side)}:-( | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
My 9.3x62 also has a LW barrel (23") & shoots constantly under an inch.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Factory barrels in 9.3x62 often have a 1:360mm (approx 1:14") twist rate. That would probably be a good place to start.

The 9.3x62 is a surprisingly accurate cartridge. I long resisted getting one (I felt it lacked a bit in versatility), but when I finally succumbed, I could not believe how well my (factory Blaser) rifle shot.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wookie316
posted Hide Post
Well after a long wait, a care package showed for me. I am only a barrel short now.

The action is very good for the age. It did have some rust on the lower bedding line which was blasted out, but overall looks very good. It's trued & ready to go.

Combined with the Brown Precision stock I have it should make for a good rig.