New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-243 middlestead
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would a 22-243 middlestead work in a Rem 788 .308 clip? possibly 6mm clip if not in the .308?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see why it wouldn't, since the 308 is the parent case for a 243.

On my 260, I order 308 magazines.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my worry is the slightly steeper shoulder angle of the middlestead, if it would function properly with where the shoulder "bumps" in the clip are.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That shouldn't be an issue, my "magazines" have a lot of room behind the indents for extra shoulder length.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
magazines"

I wondered if I'd get called on that Wink
I thought it should work, but hated to find out I had a singleshot the hard way.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Form a case or ask someone here to send you one and try it out first to make sure. I have two different magazines for my 788 (308) and the indents in them vary by about 1/8".

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22-243 Middlestead built on a 788 (27" bbl). You can use the standard 243,7mm-08, 308 mags, but there is enough variation that some will be a little tighter then others. All of them work, but I can feel the extra drag with some mags. You can polish the indents a tad, and that helps some. FWIW - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks dan, thats what I needed to know. I have a 27" 1-10 twist barrel all ready to go, but wanted to be sure before I chambered it. What twist do you have and what do you like for loads?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine has a 1-14 twist. It sings with 55 gr Noslers. When this barrel is burnt out I will go with a tighter twist, 1-9 or something similar. It's a good caliber for coyotes and such, and that's what I built it for. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote