New
Find
Notify
Tools

Izhmash?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody have any experience with Izhmash firearms? From what I've been able to piece together, they are an old Russian company and one of the conglomerates that used to supply the Soviet Army -- they built AK-47s, among other things. I have no idea whether what they produce is now, or ever was, any good, but I'm curious.

I'm curious because they have a side by side double rifle, the IZHMP221, that is dirt cheap -- especially compared to other double rifles. I wouldn't expect anything beautiful for less than $650, so I'm really more concerned about whether it is safe and functional. Of course I don't want to experience a gun blowing up, so safety isn't negotiable. If it can consistently put a couple of 45-70 slugs into a 3" or 4" circle at 150 yards, then it might just be an interesting experiment to take into the local rainforest in search of Roosevelt Elk.

Or is this just a stupid idea?

Posts: 22571 | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The products of this organization have been available in europe since the early 1960's at least; under the trade names of "Baikel" (shotguns) and "vostok"(target pistols and rifles). They were of reasonable quality and very robust but lacked and finesse or subtlety in appearance. Agricultural is a word that springs to mind when handling a Baikel shotgun. But they were cheap and worked.

Having said that these guns were outstandingly reliable, and could not only shrug off appalling abuse and use but perform as well. There were, still are, plenty of Baikel over/unders on the clay ranges.

Baikel shotgun ammo was also in a class of it's own; if you want to scare the pants off someone give them a few rounds of this to try. I got a big ball of flame at the muzzle every time; from a 28 inch barrel! Need a sixty yard pigeon load? this is it! Obviously the soviet propaganda dept. had got in on the act as the packaging claimed it was "low recoil"; we dreaded to think what the "high recoil" stuff was like. Also, the wadding was made of pulped newsprint and every so often would break apart after firing and we would get showered with bits of russian newspaper. Naturally we referred to this effect as propaganda leaflets. Sigh! How I miss that ammo.

This was all stuff made during the soviet era, I haven't seen much of the new stuff except their CO2 versions of the AK74 and Makarov, but they look well made. BTW, it is worth visiting their web site; it offers everything from BB guns to to tanks and missile systems!

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Their guns are tough and will take just about any thing a person can dish out. I have sold several shotguns and after you get them broke in, are decent.When new, you almost have to use your knee to break them in two as they are very stiff. I have talked to people who have had their break open rifles, and they were ok, especially the price.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
InfoSponge,

Izhmash make a number of different types of rifles and shotguns and while they are undoubtedly crude in finish by Western standards, they are extremely sturdy. The company must be a new "amalgamation" as the privatised former Soviet enterprises are called these days but I think the guns must be made at the Tula Arsenal.

There was also a very limited production of very high grade shotguns for senior members of the Communist party in the past with gold plated internals and fine engraving etc but I am not sure if these guns are still produced.

Do tell us how your rifle/shotgun turns out.

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am myself quite interested both in their top-break single-shot rifle, and in the two doubles (O/U and SxS). Reports of the O/U double rifle on the 'Net so far have been quite good. I wonder how well these can withstand the continuous recoil of their bigbore cartridges such as the Russian 9 x 53 R or 9,3 x 74 R.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carcano 91,

I never saw a break open rifle in 7.62x53R or even in the 9x53R but a number of Mosin bolt action rifles were converted to the latter round, I'm told. There was also a semi-auto version of the latter round based on the Dragunov sniper rifle but that too didn't sell very well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mehulkamdar:
I never saw a break open rifle in 7.62x53R or even in the 9x53R

Mehul - here is the hyperlink to the IZH-18 MN page:

http://www.baikalinc.ru/eng/prod/rifle/izh18mn/

Best regards,
Carcano

<Patrick_D>
posted
This should make a few people smile. Baikal did try to make some guns with a little more finesse. The following image is a Baikal "presentation grade" 12G O/U. I have owned this for many years and it has been completely reliable.

Enjoy.

Patrick

-

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Cool
I have an IZH-18M-M in 20 guage. Would anyone on this board know who I would need to contact in the USA to get a rifle barrel to fit it?

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder whether the Izhmash double rifle would not also have got a strengthened locking system compared to the "mere" shotgun, like the single-shot rifle did ?

C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Carcano 91,

Thanks for the link. It's open in another window right now.

Patrick,

The high grade guns that I'm talking about were top class shotguns with hinged front triggers etc. I guess with their current affordable range, the Russians have no time for individually produced high grade shotguns and rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mehulkamdar:
The high grade guns that I'm talking about were top class shotguns with hinged front triggers etc. I guess with their current affordable range, the Russians have no time for individually produced high grade shotguns and rifles.

Russia has one manufacturer of international level top-grade weapons (Drillinge and Vierlinge made upon order etc.). I found that (little-known and almost unlinked to) website yesterday. Have to dig it out again... ah, here it is:

http://www.shipunov.com/shipunov-e/str/hunt/hunt1.htm

Regards
Carcano

[ 02-20-2003, 21:35: Message edited by: carcano91 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Carcano,

Thank you very much once again.