THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to get a Left hand M70 to feed?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have replaced the mag with spacer (7mm Rem mag)with a full length one and shortened the ejector& boltstop.

However the follower is the same as for a regular righthanded receiver.

The way I would like the timing to work is to eject before picking up a new round, but the ejector seems to need quite a delicate cut (matching the head of the brass perfectly in order for this to work.

I am not sure if Dakotas follower for their left handed rifles use a follower which places the first round down the mag on the left side (looking from the back of the action).

This would be the only way to go, if someone could verify the configuration of the Dakota I would be very grateful.

Replacing the follower spring, seems like a good idea too.

Thanks for Your input

All the best

Jens

Posts: 57 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What cartridge is your M70 using? In addition to a shorter bolt stop and ejector and the longer magazine, for proper ejection, you need to machine the rear bridge to the rear approx 3/8" so the ejection port is the same size as the M70 375 H&H action. This requires drilling and tapping for 0.330" centers on the rear scope base screw holes, I tap all holes to 8-40. Install the longer follower also. I open up the rear of the magazine well so the case rim will sit high enough for good contact with the bolt face when stripping the cartridge from the magazine. And I work over the extractor lip so the case rim will slip under the extractor properly, and flair the rim around the front of the bolt also for easy entry of the case rim. And if the cartridge is full & long like a 404 you need to open up the front of the rails and recontour the feed ramp so the bullet nose is properly guided into the chamber. A common mistake is to shorten the ejector too much, and leave the bolt stop too long, this results in poor or no ejection.

[ 07-25-2002, 17:13: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what type model 70 you refer to, but if it is any other than a push feed, your problem is probably the next cartridge up is hittin the ejector and not allowing it to be picked up by the bolt. If you removed the spacer from the mag box, this is probably what is happening.

Jim

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe, is right on the money.
If I could just get hold of a "mirrored" follower my problem would disappear, eh?

The Rifle is a Win M70 LT classic in Left-hand, caliber is 7mm Remington Magnum.

The reason for removing the mag with spacer, I can seat them 175 grainers a bit further out.

John Ricks,
I would like to wait with the cutting of the ejection port. Right now, the brass is not hitting the ejection port, but rounds under the ejector needs to ride under the ejector.
Sorry for my poor description/pitiful English.

Posts: 57 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please disregard my thought about a mirrored follower, the problem would still be there, only moved to a different round in the mag.

Found the cure, a little S shaped ejector.

Thanks for the replys

Best regards
Jens

[ 07-26-2002, 01:45: Message edited by: Jens ]