New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 700 Safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sorry if this is late in the game, but I have a 700 BDL SS in 270 - the trigger has been replaced with a Timney and set pretty light. Not sure exactly what it is set on actually.

Last year - I noticed in cleaning it - moving the safety forward would allow the gun to "fire" - of course it was empty, but it was troubling to say the least. I had my gunsmith replace the safety, and it works now.

My question is - "Does the Timney trigger affect the safety working and is this similar to the issues I read about with Remington having rifles go off?"

This is a super accurate gun that is actually my favorite rifle, but I'm a little nervous now about hunting with it.

If someone can direct me to the section about the Remington issues - be glad to read them, just cannot get the search option to find what I need.

Thanks,

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sendero Ag:
Sorry if this is late in the game, but I have a 700 BDL SS in 270 - the trigger has been replaced with a Timney and set pretty light. Not sure exactly what it is set on actually.

Last year - I noticed in cleaning it - moving the safety forward would allow the gun to "fire" - of course it was empty, but it was troubling to say the least. I had my gunsmith replace the safety, and it works now.

My question is - "Does the Timney trigger affect the safety working and is this similar to the issues I read about with Remington having rifles go off?"

This is a super accurate gun that is actually my favorite rifle, but I'm a little nervous now about hunting with it.

If someone can direct me to the section about the Remington issues - be glad to read them, just cannot get the search option to find what I need.

Thanks,

The problem W/M700s is not the safety but the "Walker disconnect" trigger that the rifle has as it comes from the factory.

I suspect that if you were experiencing FSO W/a Timney replacement trigger then the sear engagement was not sufficient.

If you are not competent @ adjusting triggers, have someone that is have a look @ it.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sendero Ag:

Thanks,

Common problem with someone adjusting the stock trigger too light or not enough sear engagement. Take it to someone to re-adjust it. That "Walker" problem is BS as far as I am concerned, and progagated by some slime-ball attorney.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gun safety harps (correctly so) on paying attention to where the muzzle is pointed.

IF a safety malfunctions

And

IF someone one is injured (or Killed)

Then

The PERSON holding the rifle was NOT, as a matter of simple incontrovertable fact, NOT, NOT, NOT pointing the rifle in a
SAFE direction.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Common problem with someone adjusting the stock trigger too light or not enough sear engagement. Take it to someone to re-adjust it. That "Walker" problem is BS as far as I am concerned, and progagated by some slime-ball attorney.

One of the so called victims was a lawyer whose son had his 600 Rem fire in the back seat shooting his father in the back. The kid was messing with the safety when it happened. Naturally the paralyzed lawyer sued Remington and won.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
What Kobe said. This condition can also happen on Mausers if the existing safety doesn't pull the striker out of engagement with the trigger sear.
This prevents the trigger from reseting fully and when the safety is released the striker may and most likely will fall.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why then were there literally hundreds of
cases with the Remington trigger?. A friend
shot the transmission in his car.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My personal opinion? They won't admit they had their finger on the trigger when they closed the bolt or they had adjusted the trigger.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
And as we had previously beat this horse to death then continued to beat it.

How many accidental discharges has there been with other manufactures rifle?? This is not a Remington problem this is a Lawyer problem. Go after the company with the deepest pockets then find something to blame it on.

As with all firearms if the Walker designed trigger is properly cared for and properly adjusted it is a perfectly safe trigger to use. Now any trigger that is misadjusted or full of crud is an accident waiting to happen.

Go look up Jack Bilks posts on this subject its about a year old and 400 posts long

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:
Why then were there literally hundreds of
cases with the Remington trigger?. A friend
shot the transmission in his car.

Because people will not take responsibility for their own actions.
I watched a guy walk in front of the firing line to shoot prone because he did not have a good rest. His rifle was loaded as he got down to his shooting position and as he adjusted his elbows he shot a hole in the ground about 10 feet in front of his rifle muzzle. He turned and looked back at the rest of the people at the range who were now blocked from shooting. He was looking to see who shot the ground.
Not finding the offender, he returned to his prone position and squeezed the trigger....hard ...... Finally he opened the bolt and ejected his previous AD case and reloaded.

People are really stupid..

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
that dim whit should have been shot in the back of the head.
one more reason i go to public land to shot with no one around but me

www.KLStottlemyer.com