New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifling at muzzle looks rough ?'s
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was looking at one of my rigs with the borescope, and where the rifling ends at the muzzle, the end of the grooves looks rough. This particular rig has been real picky about shooting up to standards....

I am wondering if it needs recrowned, I looked at a few of my other rigs, and there are rifling grooves that look similar in some that are real shooters, but most of them I peeked at look real smooth at the end of the grooves.

Is polishing the end of these grooves something I need to do. Is re-crowning something I can give a spin at with some tools from Brownells, it looks like it isn't that complex--am I wrong on that?

Thanks for any feedback.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Considering it's the last thing that touches the bullet I would think you would want it nice, clean and uniform all the way around. Use whatever gives the results you want. Whether the gun is used for hitting the broad side of your neighbors barn, or producing 1 hole groups, too me, the crown is as important as the throat so I use a lathe for everyone I do. If I didn't have a lathe, I would go rent the use of one.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Westpac, I think that's code for find a smith who can recrown for me. I saw some tools at Brownells that made me wonder if I could do it with normal tools around my shop, I don't need to be anywhere near a lathe except to watch it be used--hope to take some courses ever when I retire to change that......

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
Thanks Westpac, I think that's code for find a smith who can recrown for me. I saw some tools at Brownells that made me wonder if I could do it with normal tools around my shop, I don't need to be anywhere near a lathe except to watch it be used--hope to take some courses ever when I retire to change that......

For hunting accuracy, whatever that means, the tools sold by Brownells will do. If you are into precision, long distance staple removing, for money, you are going to want a little better microscopic finish at the edge. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question, then:

Can a barreled action be placed in a lathe to recrown the barrel?

Like say a '98 with the rear sight band still attached.

thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Precision is definitely on my list of standards Westpac, so I think I'll get this rig to a smith that uses a lathe to recrown.

Do you know 0f, or if, it is possible to put an aftermarket trigger on an M-75? If there is a Jewel option, maybe I could box the whole thing up and send it your way????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish,

I have broken the corner on a number of crowns when the rifle would not respond to the usual accuracy efforts.

A search here would find a picture of the tool I use and how to do it.

Here are two that I did.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage, wore myself out searching and couldn't find your intel.
If you've got a link, I'd find it interesting I'm sure.

I'll keep working on my searching skills.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
This is the crown I put on everything. If a customer want's something different, it'll cost them. Big Grin

This is just a scrap piece of barrel to illustrate the type of crown (11 degree) and the clarity of the lands.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
Question, then:

Can a barreled action be placed in a lathe to recrown the barrel?

Like say a '98 with the rear sight band still attached.

thanks.

If the thing will fit through the headstock and you can get the bore running true without the action flopping all over the place causing damage, sure, why not? Myself, I prefer to pull the barrel so as not to cause a scene at the back end of the lathe when running at 1200 rpm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Link to Crown topic

Its worth trying because #1. It works. #2 Its almost free and easy to do.

<xs headspace>
posted
If the barrel is just burred at the end of the bore, you can take off the edge nicely with a round headed screw, a slow speed drill, and some automotive valve grinding compound. About a 15 minute job. Just be sure the head of the screw is 2x or 3x the bore dimeter, and clean any grit out before shooting. Stand the rifle muzzle up, and dip the screw head in the grinding compound, and run the drill at low speed, just resting the weight of the drill down on the muzzle, screw head centers itself nicely. Run the drill for about 30 seconds, rocking the screw head back and forth slightly, to keep from grinding a ring around the screw head. Done. All you need is a barely visible bevel. I used this method on several target rifles, and the 308 has cleaned the 900 and 800 yard targets in Palma matches(no wind)