THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where can i get 1909 "Argie" bottom metal?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
From what I understand these will fit any standard length large ring M98 action. Where can I get two of them, and what is the going rate for one that is not a beater? Is the inletting the same?

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<chris_m>
posted
I would say that the going price is $60 to $70 for the Argie Bottom metal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
wildcat junkie,

I found them here:

http://jldenter.com/JLD%20Accessories%20page.htm

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bjdoerr: Aaaaaargh Darn, now I have to change my underwear! Will they fit a standard length M98 large ring action, and will they require different inletting as one will be a "retrofit" Hurry as I think the slobbering is going to smoke my keyboard

------------------

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CRAP! They're already sold out! What do I do now? I think I'm going to kill myself Heeeeeellp me

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't panic. Help may be on the way.

Yesterday I purchased a NEW 1909 style trigger guard for a Mauser 98. The finish isn't bad but the interior could do with a good polishing. It doesn't have the raised rear side like all other Mauser trigger guards I have seen but it fits onto a DWM model 1908 in .300 Win Mag like it was made for it and feeding is fine. Also tried it on a Argentinian M1909-good fit.

LEVER ARMS SERVICE LTD
2131 BURRARD ST, VANCOUVER, BC V6J 3H7
(604)736-0004

http://www.leverarms.com/

Ask for Kin.

I won't tell you the price because Kin is a friend and I may have got a discount.

I don't know if they do mail order.

If you're interested, I'll try to post some pictures.

I almost forgot - they are steel, not aluminium

[This message has been edited by Mauser98 (edited 01-08-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Mauser98 (edited 01-08-2002).]

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wildcat, I had asked once about on one of these forums about the bottom metal for the 1904 Vacquero listed on the same page a bit further down and was told it would fit a model 98.

I have not purchased any but some who have said it isnt bad. You could always just buy an Argentine from them for $90 also.

There is more than one way to skin a wildcat.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mauser98: Geez I would have fingered that username would have been taken long ago. I like it. Do they list used parts on the site? I did a quick surf and didn't see anything that would indicate so. What do you mean by "the raised rear side"? Are you referring to the rear guard screw boss? I ground mine down to contour it with the long radius pistol grip on the stock I had made, so if that's what you are referring to , not a problem.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I lucked out with the name.

I'm referring to the rear end of the magazine well where the ammo goes. It is the same height as the other three sides.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah--another thing I forgot to mention.

The magazine is 3.39 inches long so plenty of length for a .270-.30-06 or a short magnum like a .300 Win Mag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
customstox: Gimme a break , don't you think I've already thought of that (a lot) Only problem is, then I would have another M98 action to build a rifle on. Where does it end

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will they fit a standard length M98 large ring action, and will they require different inletting as one will be a "retrofit"

Yes they fit a standard length large ring action!(VZ-24 etc )You will have to inlett the stock foreward of the front screw or remove a little metal (1/4") in front of the foreward screw on the bottom metal!
Good luck!!!

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will they fit a standard length M98 large ring action, and will they require different inletting as one will be a "retrofit"

Yes they fit a standard length large ring action!(VZ-24 etc )You will have to inlett the stock forward of the front screw or remove a little metal (1/4") in front of the forward screw on the bottom metal!
Good luck!!![/B][/QUOTE]

PS; you need to lengthen the mag.well aprox..040-.060 so a 3.340 round will fit! A nice new file works great, just remember to keep the back corners relatively square!!

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Ozhunter>
posted
1904 Mauser Vergueiro bottom metal fits the standard length 98 actions although you need to extend the inletting forward of the front screw.....I thought about it but decided to keep my mil floor plate in case I decide to do a 358 STA conversion to my 35 Whelen.....I believe the firmer retaining is better in a large game rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
tsturm: Already "been there, done that" with the present bottom metal! I was able to get 3.385" in the well, and a little (very little) careful grinding on the bolt stop made it all work perfectly My COL for the 8mm-06 Imp cartridge is 3.35". Sounds like it will work fine, buuuut--WHERE THE HECK CAN I GET A DECENT USED ONE! Oops I mean two. I am going to call about the "NEW" ones, but I bet I can buy a "fair" barreled "Argie" action for the price, but then I'll have another action begging to be built! So many Mausers, so little time!

------------------

<Scott H>
posted
Wildcat Junkie,
I have a buddy who has some bottom metal for the 1909. He will be taking them to the gunshow this coming weekend. E-mail me and I will give you his number. sdhaus@ttc-cmc.net

Scott

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wildcat, that is the whole idea behind it, it doesnt end. I have 15 of them in a drawer and they call out to me all the time.

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildcat Junkie:

Here's a couple of photos of the new mauser trigger guard I was telling you about:

If you get a price, don't forget $100.00 Canadian is about $62.00 US

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to get at least one of those sleak girls....... SCOUT

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Better hurry, as of yesterday afternoon there were only two left! If he gets enough response he says he might have more made. The price is $150 Canadian, About $100 US. 1/3 the price of the ones in Brownells. It's not in my budget this week as a sweet little 5# Ithaca Mod37 20ga. "Ultralite" kept winkin' at me the other day. I just had to take her home with me. Boy am I gonna be in trouble when my wife finds out!

------------------