Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

enfield no4 re-finishing
 Login/Join

posted
just got a no4 SMLE rifle, the bore and receiver look good, but there is rust on the end of the barrel, on the sight guard, the two retaining bands, and on the inside tip of the barrel. i want to refinish these metal parts, and was curious what is the best way, and how the rifles were finished originally.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found the best way to remove rust from these rifle is to apply a liberal application of "WD-40" and let stand for a few hours. Wipe the excess fuild off with a paper towel and gentlly rub in one direction ( prferrably in the direction of the polishing grain ) with 0000 steel wool and touch up with Birch Wood Casey cold blue and a light coat of oil.

The SMLE (No1 MKIII) was originally hot blued in caustic salts a process that's hard to source these days. The No4 MK1 (British) was painted with "Suncorite" ....high heat engine paint is a close subsitute and the No4 MK1* (Canadian Long Branch) was a convensional hot blue.

Good luck with your project...these are reliable and great shooters. Ron

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
My No4 Mk1* has the black painted type finish on it. I would think that one of the black epoxy based gun finishes would be all you'd need to refurbish one.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote