Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

custom 243
 Login/Join

posted
I plan to have my first custom rifle built.I will have it on a rem 700.I plan to use the rifle mainly as a walking predator gun(coyotes) and occassionaly a deer.My question is i know what squareing the bolt is but i am not sure what blue printing the action is.Forgive my lack of knowledge.I would appreciate some help.Any suggestions on what brand of synthetic stock?Mcmillian or hi-tech? Thanks

Posts: 15 | Location: nashville,tn | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blueprinting for an action is like blueprinting an engine for a race car. Everything about the action is machined to blueprint (design) dimensions, so it is perfect, and you can expect best accuracy from a rifle that has the action blueprinted.
Some of the more knowledgeable guys will be along to provide more information for you.
That 243 should be just perfect for what you want to hunt with it.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting it offhand it would be a waste of money. Your shooting ability is most important. I doubt that most people could tell if it were blueprinted in an offhand situation. I sure couldn't.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yo butch,
i agree with you but there are others who believe they can use the accuracy to make up for their (in) ability.

why is common sense so uncommon?

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
First, it is my belief that every gun that is custom built should begin it's life squared, that said, unless a customer absolutely wants it done, the only time I seriously recommend the full treatment to my customers is when they need, or, desire precision bullet placement performance from their rifles such as police/military snipers, target shooters, those making Looooong shots, and varmint hunters. Taking snap shots and putting rounds within the kill zone of medium to large size game inside 100 yards is well within the capability of a slightly tweaked 700 provided the shooter is up to it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
why is common sense so uncommon?

Off topic, but NO TRUE'ER words were ever said!

There are a lot of good 243s out there without going custom, unless you want something exotic or odd ball...

Heck a good varmint Savage, Remington, or Ruger VT and tweak it would be a better route to go.. and less money and less time consuming...

any gun I ever had a gunsmith put together was expensive, a lot of waiting, and even though it performed as good as an Out of the Box Savage... I'd been better off just going with the out of the box Savage...

A good Rem VLS has never let me down either...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote