Find
Notify
Tools

.416 Rigby Barrel Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted
What do you guys think the ideal barrel length on a .416 Rigby would be?

I see a lot of 24", but do you lose much by going to a 22", or gain much by going out to say 25 or 26"? What about a 20 or 21"?

I'm thinking of having a custom .416 built, and any input is welcome.

Edit: improved reading

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ben589,

I am also looking to put together .416 Rigby. It's alot of fun isn't it?

I have talked to several rifle smiths receintly and posed the same question to them. The response I received most often was....23-24" is about right. I didn't ask the "why" behind that number but, the couple who elaborated mentioned... balance, handling, portability and muzzle blast as the main reason.

Not sure the type of rifle you are considering but, as a side note I understand Krieger in making some blanks for Granite Mountain Arms so they can produce/machine a barrel with integral island rear sight, front ramp, barrel recoil lug and sling swivel stud. I believe the barrel length was to be 23". The folks at Granite Mountain would be able to give you more info.

Wish I could remeber the price....$1500.00??? Don't quote me though...I could be way off.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although this might start a war on here I will mention it, I heard from a friend who checked an original Rigby rifle that the original twist rate was 1:16 not 1:14 as seems to be popular right now. HOpefully somebody will back me up on this or Alf is around and can check his collection.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 416 Rigby CZ550 has a 21" Bbl, NECG masterpiece front ramp (special low one) with Fibre optic sight. It is adjustable for elevation so works well with factory rear. It's in a Brockman laminated stock with Pachmayer Decellerator and barrel band front swivel. Comfortable to carry comfortable to shoot and VERY accurate. The elephant I took this year in Zim seemed to think it was adequate. I am quite pleased with it. My 375H&H Brno 602 is basically the same but does not have laminated stock.

Posts: 70 | Location: So. Az | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago Red,

No flames from me.

I have heard the same thing....more than once!

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .416 has the standard cz 25 1/2" barrel and I quite like that....my .404 will have a 23.5" as it utilises slightly faster powders.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote