New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chinese Mausers Opinions???
 Login/Join

<WyomingSwede>
posted
I am picking up a 98 mauser, chambered 30-06 with chinese markings and german proofmarks. Sweet rifle, little use. Supposedly made in Germany for export. Would appreciate any info or experiences with the chinese mausers??? thanks in advance swede

------------------
WyomingSwede

one of us
posted Hide Post
The chinese bought large quanities of mausers from germany. They started with the 71 and went from there. They also purchased some check and belgin rifles. I have seen pictures of chinese copies of mausers as well. these are soposedly bomb waiting to go off. They were made from scrap metal in small cottage blacksmith shops. If your rifle has german proofs and it doesn't look like it was made by a guy in a back ally witha bunch of files and hammers then it is probaly a german export rifle. I don't have any of my book handy because i'm at work right now. This is all I can tell you now.
Ray

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a VZ-24, that was a Chinese rifle, they shot it till there was no rifling left, but the action was still good.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
Make sure it really is a German made rifle and not a Chinese copy with well duplicated markings. Some Chinese made Mausers had very good markings and looked almost identical to their well made European bretheren. The Chinese copies do have a poor reputation for quality of metals and parts interchangability.

<thumbtrap>
posted
Then again, the examples in the Kuhnhausen book are pretty entertaining.

Browning Browning Browning.
Made in nsa
(USA with an upside down U)