Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carbide drill bits
 Login/Join

posted
I keep chipping and/or breaking carbide drill bits while drilling receivers for scope mounts. I am using Brownells Do-Drill, slow feed rates, and a very rigid (mill vise) set-up. It seems that they always chip or break during penetration of the hard inside skin of the receiver.

Any recommendations from the crew? This is getting very expensive!

Hotshot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried using non-carbide bits? If you're not drilling too fast, and you're using enough oil and you're still breaking the bits, I would try using a bit that isn't as hard.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use regular high speed steel drill bits, and of 25 Mausers, the only one I couldn't get through was a '93 Mauser that the rear bridge had a hard spot inside. After I made three bits dull without progress, I heated the whole rear bridge up until red and let it cool. Then I was able to finish. But the K98, VZ24, and Turk Mausers have all been soft to drill.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'd try changiong bits halfway. Cut through the outside case hardening with the carbide bit then switch over to a HSS bit. It should just run through the steel then.

Posts: 7765 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
They cut through the steel ok, but as hotshot has noticed they often hang up on the spall created when they break through the other side, and that hang up caused the cutting edge of one side to snap off. The old hardness VS toughness thing again.

Posts: 7765 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I'll give the method of changing over to the HSS bit after breaking through with a carbide bit. If the the HSS stalls penetrating the skin on the backside, I'll switch back to the carbide. It appears that some of the O3A3's are heat treated to high Rockwell values on the outside.