THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    SAKO, the old vs. the 75, which do you prefer/why?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAKO, the old vs. the 75, which do you prefer/why?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have both a SAKO AV Fiberclass and a Sako 75.
Obviously there are some differences. I was wondering what the consensus was among those here? Which do you like better and why?

Posts: 315 | Location: SOUTHEAST USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a boatload (10+) of the old style Sakos of various vintages, and one model 75 in a stainless 300 Win Mag. I'm not as impressed with the quality of the stainless steel on the new models. The 75 bolts are very smooth, and I like the short bolt lift. The wood stocked 75's are pretty bulbous around the detachable magazine box. The magazine boxes seem to work ok. Both old and new are quite reliable.
I prefer a McMillan stock on either old or new. I like the workmanship, fit and finish more on the older rifles. I will likely buy more of the 75's over time, but I will definitely snap up older models as I come across them. Can't say why, but I just like them more.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
do you have any AV actions or older L-61r's

Posts: 315 | Location: SOUTHEAST USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both,
They're both fine.
I have AV's in 6PPC, 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, 338Win Mag, 375 H&H, and 416 Rem Mag.
I have L61's in 30-06, and soon to have one in 375 Weatherby (factory!).
I'm thinking of getting a 75 in 7mm STW and converting it to a controlled feed 416 Rem Mag.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the older ones. I have a 75 Varmint SS in .223 and it won't feed if you put more than 3 shells in either clip I have for it. The 75 has a "add on" recoil lug and the older sako's lug is machined as one with the receiver. The older sako's trigger is better also, as most were adjustable to a lighter pull and had a overtravel screw,the 75 is just weight adjustable and has lots of built in overtravel. The 75 also doesn't have as good of ejection of the casing as the older sakos due to the blade being on the bottom and the older sakos on the split lug. The older sako's are lighter and timmer also. But my 75 is extreamly accurate.I love the Stainless Steel but if I had to choose, the older Sako gets the nod on almost every count. FNMauser

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fnmauser just articulated the issues much better than I did.
JCN

one of us
posted Hide Post
<blushing>

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have both a SAKO AV Fiberclass and a Sako 75.
Obviously there are some differences. I was wondering what the consensus was among those here? Which do you like better and why?

I came to know SAKO rifles in the Axx(x) vintage. I owned a few AII's (medium length) and found it attractive. I've not moved on to any of the follow-on modifications including the M75. Overall, my barrelmaker saw fewer problems with SAKO actions being true compared to USRA M70, Rem M700, or Ruger actions. They tended to need the least amount of prep work for lug lapping, truing bolt faces, recutting of threads, truing action face, etc. In essence, a A-series SAKO is a very fine basis from which to build a custom rifle. The actions have all but dried up but complete rifles can often be had for a fair price as yet.

The nice thing about the AII series is that some of the factory rifles came with the SAKO target triger. This is a fine, 3-way adjustable trigger shipped only on AII varmint rifles (and not all of them at that) and on the PPC single shot Varmint rifle. These can be easily identfied due to the perforated trigger guard (it has three small holes in it). If you ever find one of these, don't every buy one, instead just send me an email and I'll make sure it's taken care of.

re5513

Posts: 72 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the difference in the L-61's and the AV's?

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The older L61R had a third or safety locking lug on the rear of the bolt similar to a 98 Mauser (but the shorter L 461 and L579 never had a third lug). Later model L61R's did not have the third lug, and neither did the A III or AV (both long action models). The AV, I believe, had a slightly shorter tang. No flies on any of them, however.

I prefer the L-series (in pre-Garcia or pre-1972 models) to the current production because the stocks and barrels are slimmer and lighter and feel better to me. I can't say the the quality is significantly different, however the older models had much more hand work and much less automation. This can be both good and bad, as some (few) older Sakos exhibited less-than-perfect checkering and (rarely) imperfect bedding. The current Model 75 probably doesn't have as crisp a trigger, nor does it have the "character" of a largely hand-built rifle.

I wouldn't turn up my nose at a '75, however.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It strikes me, with delight, that we are talking about pretty damn good, totally excellent, and just plain awesome choices here.
I picked up an early AV in 30-06 for my girlfriend recently. Kinda dirty, fair amount of scabbard wear on the end of the barrel, some dings in the stock. Well, after a detailed strip down and clean job (the gun, not the girlfriend), a re-crown and a bedding job in a newer, spare Hunter Lightweight stock, cut to length, and finally, a new Decelerator pad, she has a perfectly fit, well balanced, very accurate rifle.
Next year I will be on the prowl for a .308, and a .222 Vixen for fox hunting. I had a .222, but some creep stole it from my dad's house. Insurance replaced it with a 6PPC hunter lightweight, but that old vixen just had a lot more panache.
There is a God in heaven if we have Sako rifles here on earth.
JCN

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO the quality of Sako went in the toilet after the L Series..

The L-series of Sako rifles were one of the finest I have ever seen, the little L-461 was just a great small action rifle as was its predesesor, the Rhiimaki clip model..I have a 222 Rhiimaki and a custom round top L-461 in 6x45 thats a jewell of a rifle....

The AV was a bit less, but still a fine rifle.......After that I would not even consider owning Sako, they are over priced junk, that took the route of mass production and short cuts in manufacturing and increases in pricing..As a result we took another hit from the evil bean counters IMO..Sako at one time some years ago was in number 1 spot, just after Winchester dropped the pre 64s...Then they made the changes and today they are not even in the running....

It is the saga of the pre 64 Winchester repeating itself. Sako needs to return to their roots like Winchester finally did.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote