Find
Notify
Tools

Will a 6mm work in a 700 SA?
 Login/Join

<Tunacan>
posted
Hello,

I have a Remington 700 short action that I want to build off.

I know that you can use the short action as a single shot, but will the bullets be too long for the magazine to use it as a repeater?

I am wanting to use this as a coyote/deer gun, so the single shot is out of the question.

Or should I just go with the .243?

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington 700 in 6mm is built on a short action by the factory.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what bullet you shoot, where you seat the bullet in the case, and how the barrel is throated. My 6mm reamer cuts a chamber for the 95 grain Ballistic Tip, with bullet seated in the neck, base of bullet at shoulder/neck junction where it belongs. COL is around 2.940", which is too long for the magazine. So, if you want bullets seated near the lands, then you have to select your bullet, and determine the seating depth, then have a reamer ground with the throat in the correct place for the magazine. With the short action and long bullets like the 95 grain Ballistic Tip, the base of the bullet will be down where the powder belongs.

------------------
Currently in Exile on the Beautiful Olympic Peninsula of Washington State.

Email Address is rifles@earthlink.net

Web site http://home.earthlink.net/~rifles/

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote