New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Remington 770 (PHOTO HEAVY)!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a Mossberg ATR and i still felt dirty after looking at those pics.
I need a shower.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a VERY ugly rifle!!! BUT, I have witnessed two different 770´s that shot very respectable groups (under 2" at 100 yards).
In both cases, these rifles were purchased, without guidence by a single mom who wanted to get her teenagers into hunting.
Before we be-moan the equipment, we should encourage 770 owners to practice good gun manners and marksmanship.
It would be a real shame to loose future hunters because they were embarassed of their equipment.
Remington has in the past come up with some downright ugly guns. The 600´s and the "Nylon 66 are good examples. Seems now they are somewhat desirable......
Personally, I think Remington is the "Crown Prince" of P.O.S. It´s just that the 770 is at the bottom of the P.O.S. pile

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ldkier:
Before we be-moan the equipment...

Remington has in the past come up with some downright ugly guns. The 600´s and the "Nylon 66 are good examples. Seems now they are somewhat desirable...... Personally, I think Remington is the "Crown Prince" of P.O.S. It´s just that the 770 is at the bottom of the P.O.S. pile

quote:
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Personally I think it is GREAT!!!!

With a list price of $400.00 + you can buy yourself a Stevens 200, or an ADL from Wally World ( if they are still around)...

and know that you not only bought a better rifle, but you saved $50.00 to $100.00 over the price of this piece of shit.....

Kinda like the old 1970 to 1975 Vegas.. how many of those do you see on the road anymore, even tho they made and sold millions of the little tin cans..

The only good thing about a Vega, is that if you owned a Pinto or a Gremlin, at least you didn't feel that you got took as bad as the neighbor who bought a Vega....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
A customer brought this one in for a muzzle brake. Remington sent it directly to him (UPS) as a replacement for the M710 that that had a SERIOUS headspace problem. There is a aluminum core ( for lack of a better term ) that is slid into the receiver tube from the rear end. The part that extends from the rear of the action is part of this core & the trigger fits in it. The lug is in the stock (RED). There is a mating recess in the barrel that it fits into. This the replacement for the 710. What do you think? Big Grin

Chust luffley, Hans......

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
good hell, that bolt handle looks like its a rusty handle thats been reblued over the rust, interesting they use a similar lug arrangement that tikka uses, I bet it will not shoot like a tikka though. if you look around sometimes you can find a sportsman 78 in the $230 range, a lot more gun that that rifle. doesn't the lugs on those lock into the barrel, so essentially if the barrel f's up you throw away the gun?? I think they buy the bolt handles from harbor freight come to think of it.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:

I think they buy the bolt handles from harbor freight come to think of it.

Harbor Freight. That's funny! rotflmo

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Seafire2:

A bit off topic, but as I mentioned earlier in this post, my mom had a 1974 Vega. Funny, that GM stock is trading near 1974 levels today.

If you are interested, send me a PM, and I'll tell you the story of two brothers weighing in at 280 and 300 lbs. respectively in their grandmother's Gremlin going over a speed bump with the air condition on "Desert Only" setting.

Gotta love the old AMC. A GM engine with a Ford transmission coupled to a Dana rear. God, you never knew what you were getting into.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks as if some innovative manufacturing techniques were used. A steel sleeve with an extruded aluminum insert to minimize the machining expense. A lug recess in the barrel with the lug inserted in the stock. Like the Tikka, as was mentioned earlier. My understanding is that the bolt locks up into the barrel, like an AR or Anschuetz, not into the receiver, again minimizing machining on the receiver. I think Remington has to experiment with different techniques in order to find better ways of doing things. It is good to have innovation.

That being said, innovation does not have to be ugly. The stock on this thing is atrocious, too. Along with the bolt handle, and trigger guard. If I can only afford one rifle, it is at least going to look decent. This one looks like managaement designed it.

Fast Ed

Measure your manhood not by success, but by significance.

Posts: 128 | Location: Delafield, Wi. | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
so if the gun has a little too much headspace, can I send it to westpac for him to fix it??so he can recut the areas where the lugs contact the inside of the barrel?? come to think of it how the hell would you fix that condition, use a fancy mig welder to build up the surfaces then recut, kinda like polishing a turd I guess. looks like all the care about is if the bolt lugs lock up in the barrel it doesn't matter if the bolt is in or out of the action a few thou.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote